Stuck engine sprocket??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaManAndy

Local time
10:04 PM
So I put together my skyhawk 66cc 2 stroke kit I got from motorizedbicycle.com and the installation process went good it is installed on a chromoly shogun moutain bike frame with a single left side chain on a 44 tooth sprocket. So my problem is when I took it out for its first test ride, I was riding it giving it a little gas and gently pulling on the throttle about halfway when I pulled in the clutch to let it come to a stop when my problem happened. when I let the clutch back out I was already rolling downhill but the sprocket freezes up and it caused my back tire to lock up as well. Now my engine sprocket won't turn no mater what I do and the engine wont turn over because the sprocket and chain are frozen.

Does anybody more knowledgeable than me know what happened? what is causing my locked sprocket and chain.

Yup, likely your tensioner was too loose, slipped and your chain is bunched up under the sprocket cover.

Here is a pict of more or less the same thing happened to a quad:
57260-6ddd3b5f60f9e759b2e72cc261cf2986.jpg

Here is a partial answer on the same quad: (sorry, no picts of the same thing on a bicycle motor)
57261-f05949449475fd738a75a69e6a835e28.jpg

The orange thing is called a "Case Saver". (poor example really but all I have for picts)

(edit) Ah! Better picts snagged off the web: typical chain jam up.
Looks simple but it is stuck.
(don't loose that bar in the center of the sprocket or the metal ball under it)
1968_img_7400_2-jpg.86245

Case Saver for a motorized bicycle:
maxresdefault.jpg

It limits the chain's ability to jump off the sprocket to a degree (and protects the clutch cylinder).
The better ones surround the sprocket so the chain stays in the teeth of the sprocket.
You can fill the pockets around the drive sprocket with epoxy to keep the chain from bunching up like this.

The REAL answer is to make sure your drive (engine) sprocket, tensioner and driven (wheel) sprocket are all in line
and that the tensioner is properly set (slight chain slack) and tightened enough that it will not rotate or move.

Steve

Last edited:
You should take a look at your rear tire to make sure you didn't wear all the tread off in the skid.

I've got the same issue, anyone got a solution of how i can get the sprocket turning again?

you could take a link apart, probably the plate will get bent, but a master link is cheap. pound a screwdriver into the stuck link at the bottom of that link not the stuck pin, (or any link really below the gear, with a chain breaker.) the plate bends off the pin then you can slide it out of the way to pull the chain off at the bottom of the sprocket, all off and then you can grab the chain and should be able to wiggle it free.

Um, if it's like the picture above push the bike backward then readjust your chain.

could be that'd work, but I went thru this too on like day 2 of kit mb'ing. there was no rockin back and forth or fighting it, it was wedged in there mostly bcs the idler dropped in it's slot and the chain went loose. I think I was only going like 8.
that's how I went about it. if you can remove the drive gear that's best tho,,

So I put together my skyhawk 66cc 2 stroke kit I got from motorizedbicycle.com and the installation process went good it is installed on a chromoly shogun moutain bike frame with a single left side chain on a 44 tooth sprocket. So my problem is when I took it out for its first test ride, I was riding it giving it a little gas and gently pulling on the throttle about halfway when I pulled in the clutch to let it come to a stop when my problem happened. when I let the clutch back out I was already rolling downhill but the sprocket freezes up and it caused my back tire to lock up as well. Now my engine sprocket won't turn no mater what I do and the engine wont turn over because the sprocket and chain are frozen.

Does anybody more knowledgeable than me know what happened? what is causing my locked sprocket and chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back