Stupid Chain Questions

FrizzleFried

Local time
6:27 PM
(A) Can I use a 415 master link with a 410 chain?

(B) Is it "OK" to run two or three master links in order to lengthen a chain?

I moved to a 44 tooth sprocket on this 1st bike (to slow it down a little for my kid) and of course I'll need a little longer chain ... only a LITTLE... can I add a 2nd or 3rd master link? Can I use a 415 link on a 410 chain? I have 415 links for sure... I don't think I have a 410 master. I DO still have the small length of chain I cut from this initally.

(A) Can I use a 415 master link with a 410 chain?

(B) Is it "OK" to run two or three master links in order to lengthen a chain?

I moved to a 44 tooth sprocket on this 1st bike (to slow it down a little for my kid) and of course I'll need a little longer chain ... only a LITTLE... can I add a 2nd or 3rd master link? Can I use a 415 link on a 410 chain? I have 415 links for sure... I don't think I have a 410 master. I DO still have the small length of chain I cut from this initally.
These master links are very affordable. Get the correct links. I wouldn't use more than 2 of them. I had to do that with my 410 green chain.

20210613_143121.jpg

A - technically yes... but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a "trail bodge" to get you home. 415 chain rollers are 1/16th wider so the master would create a very loose link that would have a very good chance of popping the retaining clip off.

B - Generally you want to avoid more than one master link but two can be used in a pinch.

Depending on the quality or brand of chain I have often found that many 410 and 415 chains on the shelf don't even come with properly riveted links to begin with. This means that if you are capable and have the patience you could actually re-pin a link back on to a chain. It's a bit tricky to do but I have managed it with nothing more than a small brass hammer and a block of wood.

It's a bit tricky to do but I have managed it with nothing more than a small brass hammer and a block of wood.
I have had to do that just once, but it wasn't tricky for me at all...All I had to do was think of the last time my ex wife really pissed me off and it went right together, correctly, the first time around and it's still holding strong...lol.

A - technically yes... but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a "trail bodge" to get you home. 415 chain rollers are 1/16th wider so the master create a very loose link that would have a very good chance of popping the retaining clip off.

B - Generally you want to avoid more than one master link but two can be used in a pinch.

Depending on the quality or brand of chain I have often found that many 410 and 415 chains on the shelf don't even come with properly riveted links to begin with. This means that if you are capable and have the patience you could actually re-pin a link back on to a chain. It's a bit tricky to do but I have managed it with nothing more than a small brass hammer and a block of wood.
One of those pointy punches for making divots for drill holes works excellent for putting the pins back in, but you have to make sure the chain is square on top of the anvil first and get the punch right in the center.

Once you know how to rivet chain, there is only need for one master.
If you have a certain riveting tool (expensive) you won't need any master links. However, with many riveting tools you still need special links for them.

It's much cheaper and easier to use 2 master links. With the clip style links, I've never had a failure.

One of those pointy punches for making divots for drill holes works excellent for putting the pins back in, but you have to make sure the chain is square on top of the anvil first and get the punch right in the center.
Or just think of Damien's ex-wife.
If you have a certain riveting tool (expensive) you won't need any master links. However, with many riveting tools you still need special links for them.

It's much cheaper and easier to use 2 master links.

And all I use is my old, all purpose, Ford fix-it tool...lol.

hammer-682767_960_720.jpg

I have had to do that just once, but it wasn't tricky for me at all...All I had to do was think of the last time my ex wife really pissed me off and it went right together, correctly, the first time around and it's still holding strong...lol.
Haven't any of u guys ever heard of a chain removal tool? Traverse yourselves 2 the nearest bicycle store.

Back