Brakes Sturmey Archer Bicycle Dyno Drum Brake.

Sturmy-Archer XFD dyno hub

Shimano type connector...well well this is news.It comes with accessories but they must be for the drum brake part ONLY,but i'll know more when i get it in about 3 weeks.
Thanks man for the heads-up. :)

I needed to hear that, I didn't get cables either.

Here are a few pics of mine.I have the S-A XFD dyno and I'm having the XF built now. One of the best investments I've made on a bike. Smooooooth as glass. Like watching a duck land on water.

It is mounted on the springer forks that I have on my Jaguar Mr. Breeze. The factory hardware worked fine.
The zip ties are for the speedo just above. I even used the fancy SA hub lugs.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,519
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 877
Ok... I have questions for you SA hub dyno owners. Will the drum brake stop you quickly, say if you were going 30 mph and a truck pulled out in front of you suddenly? I am still debating between the dyno hub with drum or disc brake. I want one or the other for stopping in foul weather as I will have to use a rim brake for the rear because of the drive sprocket being mounted there. I have heard that the drum brakes are designed to slow one down and not necessarily to stop quickly. I like the idea of smooth breaking but don't like the idea of being road taco on some SUV's rear bumper. Any thoughts?

vyzhion
May not answer the question on drum or disc brakes, the main point here is the dyno and the drum brake is a added feature or bonus on Fetor's set up.

I suppose they could eventually make a dyno with disc brake, best of both worlds, one or the other to choose from.

For a stopping viewpoint, they are about equal. A disk brake works better when you have a LOT of stopping to do - a long downhill run in the mountains, say, as it can better dissipate the heat that can build up inside a drum. In other words, it will fade less. But, for everyday use, they can both send you over the handlebars if you get TOO ... enthusiastic! :D On the other hand, A drum brake is better protected from the environment, and from external damage. And, as others have mentioned, you do have a generator that can be utilized for lighting also. Although, if you have an aversion to producing your own power and like buying batteries, you can also get drum brake only versions, for substantially less. Both Shimano and Sturmey-Archer make 'em.

I would be curious to see if the dyno-hub dissipates the heat better than just the drum brake, as there's a lot more metal in the dyno-hub.

A question for the disk-brake users out there. Do you ever run into problems with road gunk, slop, ice, etc. reducing braking efficiency?

Last edited:
Shimano also makes a disc dyno hub and that is why I have been asking these questions. It is not a question between a drum brake with a dyno and a normal disc wheel but a question of the more effective brake style to buy WITH my dyno. But thanks all for your imput. I am in the preliminary stages of planning a self-charging lighting system and this is the first step. The sturmey archer dyno hub costs about $35 less than the shimano disc model and then I wouldn't hafta buy a rotor to go with it. What about the brake shoes inside the hub? Would those be difficult to replace?

Last edited by a moderator:
please let us know your thoughts on the SA hub. I am on the verge of going dyno (vs disc) myself. Is it as good as you had hoped?

please let us know your thoughts on the SA hub. I am on the verge of going dyno (vs disc) myself. Is it as good as you had hoped?
Sorry man can't comment yet cos i'm still building my bike.....azbill/loquin/scott,have them & know a great deal.

Back