Stuttering

10r

Local time
12:18 AM
So yes I've researched the forums before posting and done what I could.
It's an 80cc and I'm not sure of the make. It was " unbranded" from china.

Issue: I installed the kit and I've been running no problem for about a month. I was very happy with it.
I started to notice the engine stuttering a bit and it got worse within say 10 miles to the point it won't run anymore.
I can sometimes get it to idle but it will not run with the clutch engaged.

Things I've tried:
Cleaned and gaped the spark plug and it ran good but not for long.
I checked for spark and it's consistent.

Took apart the carb. Float is good and no dirt in that hole where the needle goes.
Cleaned the air filter.

Made sure the plug is tight and checked the head bolts didn't come loose.

Removed the exhaust and it is not clogged.

My fuel mixture has always been 16:1 so that didn't change.

I haven't changed the wiring and no the magneto didn't get wet.

I'm waiting for a new NGK plug that's on order and I was going to try a less lean gas mix.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Is there something I missed?

If you are gonna be into this hobby for any amount of time, you may as well invest a few bucks on a decent multimeter so that you can check your electric systems with some kind of precision.

Unless you have a multimeter, there's no way to check your magneto or CDI unless you start swapping things with items you know are good.
Almost instantly, you can check your kill switch or plug wire, saving you lots of headaches.

So yes I've researched the forums before posting and done what I could.
It's an 80cc and I'm not sure of the make. It was " unbranded" from china.

Issue: I installed the kit and I've been running no problem for about a month. I was very happy with it.
I started to notice the engine stuttering a bit and it got worse within say 10 miles to the point it won't run anymore.
I can sometimes get it to idle but it will not run with the clutch engaged.

Things I've tried:
Cleaned and gaped the spark plug and it ran good but not for long.
I checked for spark and it's consistent.

Took apart the carb. Float is good and no dirt in that hole where the needle goes.
Cleaned the air filter.

Made sure the plug is tight and checked the head bolts didn't come loose.

Removed the exhaust and it is not clogged.

My fuel mixture has always been 16:1 so that didn't change.

I haven't changed the wiring and no the magneto didn't get wet.

I'm waiting for a new NGK plug that's on order and I was going to try a less lean gas mix.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Is there something I missed?
Clean the plug again and drop the mix to 6 ounces per gallon. 8 ounces per gallon is to much even for breakin. After the first gallon drop to 4 ounces per gallon. You are probably just fouling the plug with to much oil. You cleaned the plug and it ran good briefly So the conclusion is the dirty plug was the cause. It could be something else causing the plug to foul, but the fuel is the place to start. If this doesn't work then we look elsewhere.

agree that mix should be less (I'd go right to 32:1 - 4oz/gal)

if you are seeing excess smoke from exhaust, you might be forgetting to turn off petcock when motor isn't running - this can cause fuel to fill bottom of motor making it hard to start

Ok thanks. I do have a multimeter so I will give that a try. I did forget that.

Yes, I was leaning towards the plug since I cleaned it and it worked. I have a cheap one that came with the kit.

Ok thanks guys. I do have a multimeter and will try that.

I was leaning toward the plug since I cleaned it and it worked. I only have the cheap one that came with the kit. There's not even a number on it. lol
I ordered NGK plug B6HS that somebody on this site recommended.
No local guys had it so it should be in by Tues.

I'll try the 32:1 mix in the meantime.

I'll post the results in a day or two.

Thank you all.

32:1 fuel mix made no difference. I emptied the carb and line to make sure I was getting new mix.

I think the coil is my problem. Tested between 65 and 105 ohms. Nowhere near 320.

I will try and find a quality one.

Now the waiting game on ordering.

Thanks again

32:1 fuel mix made no difference. I emptied the carb and line to make sure I was getting new mix.

I think the coil is my problem. Tested between 65 and 105 ohms. Nowhere near 320.

I will try and find a quality one.

Now the waiting game on ordering.

Thanks again
I'm guesseing your talking about the cdi. If the drop in mix didn't change it that was the next place I was going. I have had a rash of bad cdi's lately. The symptoms were much the same as your having. Here's wishing you good luck and speedy mail men.

mag coils are usually good or bad (have not seen one weak) maybe it is just not getting a good ground

Back