Subaru 35cc Testing Ride -- Sweet

Mountainman

Local time
6:57 AM
Just got back from a long day spent with my new Subaru 35cc.. I haven't been on motor bikes for many years -- it was a FUN DAY.. That little Subaru ran soooo fine -- as I took it pretty easy -- break in period. My bicycle though -- mountain bike -- handelbars a little to low -- already looking for another gooseneck -- a little larger seat may also be added -- saw three or four of the police -- as recommended -- pedals were moving --- what a nice day of motor and sun.. Glad that I have found this site --- Happy Riding -from Mountainman

Congratulations on your first ride, Mountainman :) Take it easy for the first 2 gallons of gas...after that it's pretty much broken in. The break-in period is also a good time to fine tune your ride, like you said about a longer gooseneck...maybe high-riser handlebars instead?...and a big fat beach cruiser saddle. Whenever I see a police cruiser, I'm pedaling :)

I's So glad you're riding!

Congratulations on your first ride, Mountainman :) Take it easy for the first 2 gallons of gas...after that it's pretty much broken in. The break-in period is also a good time to fine tune your ride, like you said about a longer gooseneck...maybe high-riser handlebars instead?...and a big fat beach cruiser saddle. Whenever I see a police cruiser, I'm pedaling :)

I's So glad you're riding!

Hi mark2yahu -- wow - run two gallons of gas through this little wonder for a break in ? It seems like a lot - but I am up for it -- much fun !! In the old days I rode much bigger bikes - yes much bigger -- could use those bikes to escape traffic in times of need -- a couple of times today -- got a little hairy -- cars and trucks wizzing by with not much of a bike lane.. Mirror might come in handy -- are you using a mirror ? A speedometer would be nice also - but - I am trying to keep my equipment down to a minimum --- at least for now. Many blessings with your riding Mark -- from Mountainman

congrats !

Yeah, I read somewhere to go thru 2 gallons. I'm sure one will be enough.
I have a removable mirror on my left handlebar. It's a must. shoulda bought the wide-angle, though. The speedometer is another thing you should get..they're inexpensive. And I think a horn would be practical...the bulb ones. Thanks for the blessings, my friend...right back at ya! ;)

mark

Those little motors ARE sweet. As a long time bike rider,,, when doing modifications to your bike,,, only do ONE at a time, then ride to see how it " feels." Sounds like trying an " adustable stem riser" may be what you need to get the correct angle/height to be comfortable.

I changed my bars to an 8" rise and made it way better.
I also just rode my bike and never worried about the break in. These Robin Subaru motors with a steel lined cylinder wall and set pretty modest rpm do not seem to mind me just going. I started with a 16 mile commute each way and soon added 2 to 3 hour rides.
I use a mirror on my Helmet and they have similar ones for glasses. Close to your eye it takes just a small mirror and I like moving my head to look not my handle bars.

Last edited:
Those little motors ARE sweet. As a long time bike rider,,, when doing modifications to your bike,,, only do ONE at a time, then ride to see how it " feels." Sounds like trying an " adustable stem riser" may be what you need to get the correct angle/height to be comfortable.

Hi Esteban --- that's what I am looking for - an adustable stem riser - - I am hoping to get just a little more height and possibly bars moved closer to seat without having to change out all the cables.. Yes - I hear what you are saying -- at times I am thinking of way too many things to add or changes to be made to my bike -- Got the main things - motor, wheels, seat and bars --- throttle lever ! Happy Riding from Mountainman

Hey Mountainman I get emails from blueskycycling.com and bikeworldusa.com since I have bought stuff from them. You might find the parts you need there. I have changed handlebars on all the bikes I've built, but I have several junk bikes I can steal longer cables from.
I just helped a member build a Dimension Edge Honda or Subaru friction drive bike. It seems like a lot of fun to ride and a pretty solid set up. These things are fun aren't they?

I'm considering this kit. Anyone have any experience-input on the 25cc? Compare and contrast the 35 vs. the 25? I don't really want to go too fast, just get some assist for hills. Will I regret not getting the 35?

Edit: Whoops, just found this thread:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=126906&highlight=subaru+25cc#post126906

It seems the 35cc might last longer because it's less stressed? I also have some major hills here in Oregon, going from Milwaukie to Beaverton over the "west hills". I like the idea of the tiny engine though, and saving gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
imperfectionist, the 35cc only goes 2 mph faster than the 25cc. In reference to the GEBE kit, The 25cc is 2 lbs. lighter at 12 lbs. and tops out at 26 mph...with a trail gear. Imagine if you put a standard gear on, and you'll probably get to 28mph. A highway gear might be too much of a load on the 25cc, though. Personally, I like to cruise at 18 mph and pedal assist when there's a hill. No sweat! :)

Back