Subaru 4-stroke on folding bike?

bikedude

Local time
7:16 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am wondering if I could get some advice concerning a project I would like to work on:
I have a scooter with a Subaru EH035 engine. Should I transplant the engine onto a folding bike to make a vintage-looking pocket bike? Does this project look difficult to pull off?

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 20150812_182252.jpg
    20150812_182252.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 242
Should work. I got a pocket bike motor on my bike and 20 Inc wheels with a 50 tooth sprocket. Best bike i have had

I am working on building a 20 inch folding bike and need the thing to weigh under 50 lbs total. The bike weighs 30 so was thinking about a pocket bike engine. Can someone post a link? What type is best?? Also want to make it shiftable. Too much to ask for 50 lbs??? the mission is to get back and forth to work (3.5 miles one way), fold up and check as luggage for when I travel and be able to carry me and my 1510 pelican case.

You can def make a folding motorbike under 50 pounds, but i wouldnt use a pocket bike engine. If you need it to be gas i would get a grubee skyhawk 66cc engine and a sick bike parts shift kit and pray it fits on the frame. But its going to stink like gas and offend people, electric would be best for taking on a train

[
I am working on building a 20 inch folding bike and need the thing to weigh under 50 lbs total. The bike weighs 30 so was thinking about a pocket bike engine. Can someone post a link? What type is best?? Also want to make it shiftable. Too much to ask for 50 lbs??? the mission is to get back and forth to work (3.5 miles one way), fold up and check as luggage for when I travel and be able to carry me and my 1510 pelican case.

A 20" Dahon folding bike was my first gas mb. There's no way you'll fit a center-mounted engine in there. I ran a 1.4 hp Subaru bike with rear friction drive. Then I upped it to a 43cc Mitsubishi engine with rear chain drive. Top speed with the Subaru was 27mph. The Mits' sped up into the 30-something mph. It became squirrelly to drive with that much power, so I transplanted the engine into a cruiser bike and gave away the Dahon.
FWIW, the motorized folder might've weighed about 50lbs. I forget; it's been over 10 years ago, I think. However, I could never get it back into its case.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am wondering if I could get some advice concerning a project I would like to work on:
I have a scooter with a Subaru EH035 engine. Should I transplant the engine onto a folding bike to make a vintage-looking pocket bike? Does this project look difficult to pull off?

Thanks so much for the help!
I installed that same engine w/rear friction drive on my 20" Dahon folder. It was easy to install and ride. Gas and go, no mixing oil. Top speed was 27mph.

You don't want to power a bike with gas if you want it transportable.

You can't tote a gas bike on the bus or light rail here for example, and they sure won't lay down in your trunk friendly or be allowed on an airplane so electric is the way to go.

I am building a 24" 3-speed electric shifter for a petite but spunky gal right now...

OrangeCrush1-1280.jpg

That 24" Micarhi Tahiti 3-speed girls bike is pretty much the same geometry of a folding bike, you just need to keep all the drive parts behind the frame fold.

Something like that will scoot around with some impressive performance.

SBP 48V electric shift kit and a 48V 12AH LI battery with a built in charger that takes any 115V AC 'common appliance cord' like a PC or your TV uses so easy to re-charge.

This gal wanted something 'fun' to commute on legally, this can be 'white knuckle' fun if she wants it, but otherwise keep up with traffic and charge it up every couple of days.

Back