Substitute for 415 chain- #41

H

HoughMade

Not wanting to wait for a half link for my 415 chain and hearing from others that a #41 chain works fine, I went down to Tractor Supply Company and bought a 10 foot length of #41 for $14 and a half link (actually a package of three) for $4.

Long story short, it works great! The pitch is the same 1/2". The roller diameter is the same 5/16". The side plates are slightly thinner, but the outside width of the chain is the same as 415. There is about 1/16" wider inside measurement, but appears not to be a problem at all.

To me, there are some advantages-

1. You can get #41 anywhere and you can get #41 half links and master links anywhere. If you don't have a close TSC, try any small engine shop or anyplace that sells minibikes or go-karts.

2. 10' of #41 cost about $14 (no shipping because you can get it anywhere). I looked at several of the usual suspects and most charged about $20 for a 59" 415. One retailer charged about $15, but it is still only 59". For the cost of a master link, you can get 2 chains out of the 10', $14, #41 easy. If you use 2 different sprockets, you can have a ready made chain for each.

3. Worried about the strength? A #41 has an average tensile strength of 2,000 lbs. A 415 has an average tensile strength of 1,600 lbs.
http://www.azusaeng.com/chain/mcyclchn.html

4. I have heard the 415s (the ones that come with the kits) stretch quite a bit. I have never heard this about standard #41 and it has been used on minibikes and go-karts for generations.

In case you cannot tell- I'm a big fan of #41.

bluegoatwoods

As a matter of fact, I'm running two #41 master links in each of two bikes with no problem yet. Got 'em at TSC

D

Dockspa1

Thats some prooven great advice and thanks Houghmade. Saved some money for all of us.
Doc

hargie12

Okay, where is 'TSC'. Is there a web site?

Didn't look where you're from, but #41 chain can be bought in about any farm supply store. Tractor Supply, Rural King, my home depot sells them...You can also find them easily at a Power Sports store ( anybody who sells motorcycles, mopeds etc.)

D_M

For some reason I had trouble digging this up in the site search (found info about #41 elsewhere, and got back here with Google).

Just what I needed though, thanks!

TheMotheMan

Ok bringing up a dead subject here. Wouldn't #40 chain be more suited for engine applications? The difference between #40 and #41 in chain size is only the roller diameter, #41 is .306 and #40 is .312, however the major differences come in strength and load. The #40 chain has a strength of 3,125 lbs and a working load of 810 lbs, where your #41 is only 1500 lbs strength and a working load of only 500 lbs. I would think if you are going up hills and/or pulling some kind of trailer you would maybe want a more robust chain? IMO a #40 chain is better than the #41 as the 41 is a lightweight chain. This info comes right from the ANSI B29 standards. I am just looking for some input from you guys.

H

HoughMade

The standards are correct...I could run a solid steel bar frame too, but it just ain't necessary. I'll let you know when the #41 breaks...don't expect that post any time soon.