Substitute for 415 chain- #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Chains don't "stretch.""
have you used a stock kit chain ???:confused:

My stock chain didn't last two days, master link popped. So I put on a quality master link I had sitting around, same day one side of a normal link sheered in half. The chain was riding rough so I limped home and was surprised to see one link held together by only one side!

Now I am on a quest to get a proper chain....

I see the 415 recommended and people say it works well, but it seems to be kinda hard to find and pricey. I read here that 41 is a great chain that works well, but is a light chain? (I know light is way stronger than the stock china chain!) But what about this #40 chain? Has anyone tried it on a China girl bike? Surplus Center has 10' of #40 for $14, they don't have #41 for some reason, but I hate to mail order it unless I know it is gonna work.....

If anyone has any other suggestions for a sturdy chain that works smoothly on a bike that is reasonably priced and available please let me know....

Sorry to revive an old thread .. but ..

2017 and still trying to find info. I cut my #415 chain too short and I didn't want to order online and wait even longer!!

I tried #40 chain master links - it did not work for me, it was too wide. I'd imagine a whole chain of the stuff wouldn't work because its so wide, it'd just bind up.

#41 IS PERFECT.

I'm glad I found this thread - completely happy with the inf0!!

I use a BMX chain. It's thinner than the bulky 415 and it seems to run through my engine sprocket with less drag. Because it is thin, it clears my tire without hitting the side. I got a strong one with reinforced nickel plated links (Wippermann Connex 1R8--1/2" x 1/8"). I've gone 1800 miles on it and it's running great with no twisting. Yes, all chains stretch.

I use a BMX chain. It's thinner than the bulky 415 and it seems to run through my engine sprocket with less drag.
I run single speed 410 BMX chain wherever I can.
#41 chain to me is like using cruise ship anchor chain for your row boat, way unnecessary overkill unless you didn't follow the first rule of MB building, get the back sprocket on right!

The side plates don't stretch. Pin to side plate tolerances and materials vary. El chepo guave chains get longer quicker than higher quality chains. The common term for this elongation "the extension of a object under stress" in chains is stretch. A chain is not 1 link but a number there of. So a link does not stretch, but a chain does.

I run single speed 410 BMX chain wherever I can.
#41 chain to me is like using cruise ship anchor chain for your row boat, way unnecessary overkill unless you didn't follow the first rule of MB building, get the back sprocket on right!
I agree 100% however, the fat 415 does give it that cool motorcycle look. :)

I agree 100% however, the fat 415 does give it that cool motorcycle look. :)
That it does ;-}

The thing is an HD 7-speed chain can transfer the power.

2_GT2-GT5-2sRight1280.jpg

Heck, I have stock 415 on the left to the JS, 410 on the right to the dual pedal sprockets, and 7-speed chain to the back wheel derailleur from there, and it all works great.

You simply can't fix an improperly mounted rear sprocket with thicker chain guys, and that is what breaks chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back