Success stories? Epic failure? I wanna know!

GiselleLFreude

Local time
8:06 AM
I was wondering how your motorized bicycle project worked out? I'm almost done with mine, but a friend of mine also attempted this and it was a horror show. I'm scared that mine will turn out the same. He said that a rear sprocket mounted against the base of the spokes is a really bad idea. See the picture below to see
what I'm talking about. What issues did you run into with your project?

48424390_2260734544139659_3242968658036654080_n.jpg

Your friend is right! They use that spoke mounted system in kits because it will work with any 36 spoke wheel, but I don't like it. I recommend getting a sprocket adapter for your hub or get a disc brake hub that you can attach a sprocket to. If you do decide to get a sprocket adapter make sure you get the right size to fit your hub, there are several different types out there from 3 bolt type adapters to 9 bolt ones. I know many people use the stock rag joint set up just fine with no problems, but the vibrations tend to loosen nuts causing it to slip or bend the spokes.

The clam shell sprocket adapters are the best, some of the other ones don't work as good but there are many to choose from, it pays to shop around or ask here before you buy. This is a good one but more expensive than most---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manic-Mech...h=item3a9d1ed388:g:piYAAOSwaNBUf5ml:rk:8:pf:0

Also, make sure you tighten everything on your bike often. Make sure you are consistent with your fuel mix. There are many upgrades you can do to make it run better, faster, cooler and make it last longer.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeah I'm gonna tighten it after every ride. Do you think that would work? I'm thinking about doing it with a torque wrench to make sure the load is evenly distributed. If I did that, do you think the chances of problems would be reduced significantly?

The only nuts you need to use a torque wrench on are the head nuts, make sure they are about 15 foot pounds. The other nuts on the engine should just be checked to make sure they are still tight before you ride. Also, don't forget to check screws and nuts on the bike itself. not just the ones on the engine. If you find ones that continually seem to get loose use blue Lock-Tite on the threads. After a while you will find that certain nuts or screws tend to get loose and others never do.

Upgrades that are worth doing:

Rear Sprocket Adapter---save the spokes and drive the hub
Porting the engine---improves fuel/exhaust flow
Expansion exhaust pipe---Better acceleration and top speed
High compression head with large cooling fins---Makes the engine run much cooler, makes it last longer
Double leg kick stand---Makes it easier to park and work on your bike

Hey I have a kit I ride most every day.
20191028_103446.jpg

I could not get to stop popping and jumping. It didn't function from bike berry, but its a high quality engine and carb. They went cheap on mounting. I pulled the front mounting bracket off my China kit and deleted the tensioner and it works.

The top piece is the flying horse bike berry mount.
20191028_164012.jpg

Last edited:
Back