Suggestions for bug out build

justpassinthru

Local time
1:17 AM
Hi all...been lurking for a while, great group here. Have a project. I am building a motorized bike with trailer that can get my wife(she doesn't ride bikes) and myself back over 130 miles of broken Seattle (Olympia) to South of Portland interstate highway. We spend time at our sailboat moored several hours away in South Puget Sound. Based on updated big one earthquake analysis the main Interstate freeway I5 will be even more toast then previously through most of Washington. Yes extreme thinking but lets put that aside.
So I need to be able to haul 330 lbs of people and 50 lbs of gear, 380 lbs. That will be the sole use of and purpose for this build. I have obtained an aluminum two wheeled trailer that hitches to the seat post (will be customized). (Will make sure trailer can handle weight) I just obtained a Diamondback, 26 inch wheel 20 inch steel frame used mountain bike.
Hoping for some of the great critique I have learned immensely from on this site.
4 or 2 stroke? Speed not a high priority, 15-20 mph is fine. Reliability for that 130 miles, critical. Will be carrying fuel with us so optimizing fuel usage will save weight.
What I think I should be concerned about...
reliable clutch, will carry a spare but with the excess weight and some gradual inclines, need a good clutch setup.
reliable carburetor
rear sprocket tooth size?
spoke or solid hub chain wheel setup?
prefer to not go as complex as a stub axle setup
Brakes sufficient?
single chain transmission acceptable?
Ditch the 21 speed derailleurs? I will be losing the shifting handle bar grip shifters...
We will probably stop and take breaks but would "like" the option to ride further if we didn't want to expose ourselves to potential lawlessness.
Bike and trailer will break down to be stored in trunk in several pieces, would like the engine to be able to be placed on its side (with oil and fuel removed)
Used the template described on a you tube 10 1/2 by 10/12 with one corner trimmed to confirm engine fit in frame, barely fits...tight..

Any feedback greatly appreciated....

mountain bike.jpg
trailer.jpg

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 151
Welcome to the forum!

Personally, if I was gonna build this id go with a 4 stroke motor since 2 stroke motors require oil to be mixed with the gas. Another issue is gonna be exhaust gas (having a motor mounted in the front is gonna have the rear passenger huffing CO2 for 130miles...)

However, depending on whats your budget, 2 stroke might be your only viable option.

Most reliable clutch will be a manual with this kinda weight, but with the right gearing a centrifugal will work as well.

if you replace the pads, the brakes will be sufficient enough.

as much as a shift kit would benfit you in the low and high range, it's added complexity that i wouldn't want when its time to get out of dodge, get a 415HD chain and keep a spare if your concerned about breaking down.

if going 2 stroke, id fabricate an exhaust that is either lower than the trailer, or higher than the person sitting in it. id also splurge and a get a grubee 26in HD wheel (or rebuild the current rear rim with 12GA spokes)

Tooth size depends on your engine. id start with the stock one as go from there (id say 48-52t would be a good choice, however, see how the bikes likes the stock size first before buying anything)

I'd also get some Knobby offroad tires in case you need to go off-trail.

id ditch the front shifter and leave the rest, keeps it less cluttered on the bars, and still gives you the ability to shift if needed.

get a extended capacity fuel tank as well (whizzer tank if you can find one, or get a 4L https://www.amazon.com/CDHPOWER-Bla...cphy=9019570&hvtargid=pla-1118112256301&psc=1)

good luck to ya! I'm sure more members will join in but this is a good starting point.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This might be a great set up for going to the grocery store but you can't be serious about putting your wife in the trailer with a whole lot of gear and heading south to Portland on something this flimsy powered with a weed wacker motor. I used to live in Seattle and pondered the same thoughts as you. How the hell to get out of there when the big one hits. Everybody else will be bailing with you so I-5 and I-90 will be a virtual parking lot. There will be idiots driving off the pavement and through front yards and fields just to keep moving. You won't be able to join them with this set up. Try weaving your way through all the stalled cars on the freeway or beat your rig up trying to off road it with the idiots and hope they don't run you over.

Now if bugging out is REALLY the reason for building a specialty vehicle I suggest this. Find an older Jeep, Bronco or other 4WD rig with a short wheel base and a lot of horsepower. A winch wouldn't hurt. When the time comes head out east through Covington and up the road to Howard Hansen Dam. Crash through the chain link gate and keep going up the dirt road to the abandoned railroad town of Lester. Continue on over Stampede Pass and rejoin I-90. Now you will be on the east side of the Cascades and safe from the disaster you left behind. You can get a better idea of this if you check it out on Google Earth or maybe take a ride up to the dam some weekend. I hope it never comes to this. Seattle has more than enough problems today. It used to be such a beautiful city.

Ok Michael...I'm not often humbled especially when it comes to Survival prepping, but you humbled me.alot of truth in your words...your open sharing of privy escape advice is much appreciated (I am studying your mappoints and escape scenario now)...I made the decision to move my sailboat from Sequim on the Olympic peninsula to Olympia once I learned how bad it will be on that peninsula, most likely isolated from the rest of the world with no outside support for months...
So I have taken one positive step forward.
I don't have the resources to have a jeep on standby stored in Olympia. I wish I did. Its a great solution. My boat will most likely come thru well but I will not be able to motor or sail out for months due to the debris in the water. My choices are to either walk out on foot or motor south in some fashion.
I'm going to have to hope that the severe damage to the roads above Olympia stops Seattle and Tacoma traffic from getting through. And If I can possess a more mobile plan to get around damaged parts of the freeway I will have an advantage over cars. We would stay on the boat until the initial surge of panic has subsided and the traffic has come to a standstill. Just not so long that people have become desperate and its too dangerous to travel. I know, bad plan but it's the best I can do. If we have to we will hike out and will be prepared to do that...but any miles we can make with motor assisted will be that many fewer miles...
Maybe a two seater dirt bike?

Still want to do this build...but I need it to be a tank...literally or at least very reliable...

The big one will come one day, no question.

Just read thru the sticky notes in the forum on bullet proofing the engines...replacing head studs, loctite, etc....great stuff..

I do have one of these stored in the barn for last ten years, its a runner, fixer upper state, could revive it put a passenger seat on it...10 speeds, 5 grannie...Honda 90 trail...

But I lose ability to have with us when driving...still like the idea of a bug out motorized, take apart bike....

honda trail 90 bike.JPG

Ok Michael...I'm not often humbled especially when it comes to Survival prepping, but you humbled me.alot of truth in your words...your open sharing of privy escape advice is much appreciated (I am studying your mappoints and escape scenario now)...I made the decision to move my sailboat from Sequim on the Olympic peninsula to Olympia once I learned how bad it will be on that peninsula, most likely isolated from the rest of the world with no outside support for months...
So I have taken one positive step forward.
I don't have the resources to have a jeep on standby stored in Olympia. I wish I did. Its a great solution. My boat will most likely come thru well but I will not be able to motor or sail out for months due to the debris in the water. My choices are to either walk out on foot or motor south in some fashion.
I'm going to have to hope that the severe damage to the roads above Olympia stops Seattle and Tacoma traffic from getting through. And If I can possess a more mobile plan to get around damaged parts of the freeway I will have an advantage over cars. We would stay on the boat until the initial surge of panic has subsided and the traffic has come to a standstill. Just not so long that people have become desperate and its too dangerous to travel. I know, bad plan but it's the best I can do. If we have to we will hike out and will be prepared to do that...but any miles we can make with motor assisted will be that many fewer miles...
Maybe a two seater dirt bike?

Still want to do this build...but I need it to be a tank...literally or at least very reliable...

The big one will come one day, no question.

A friend of mine had a 23 foot C&C that I crewed on based out of Kennewick on the Columbia River. Fun times so long ago. If a tsunami ever hit the coast I can't imagine anything that floats surviving. You have a lot more faith than I do.
I realize not everyone can afford a second or third survival vehicle so if it's gonna have two wheels I would definitely get a motorcycle so your wife can ride behind and hang on to you. A motorcycle would have the power you really need and a suspension to go off road when it becomes necessary. There are ways to attach a trailer to a motorcycle and you could always detach it and leave it behind if things got impossible. Just plan on having fun on this bike you plan to build and it will take your mind off "the big one". Best wishes always ...................michael

Id stick with the trail 90, you could get a hitch-mounted motorcycle rack for around 80$ if you need to transport it, that honda will go anywhere you need too (that high low box is super useful if you are gonna be carrying heavy loads)

worst case, you could take off the front and rear wheels and just stuff it in the back of the car if you REALLY needed to get out fast (2 bolts)

A friend of mine had a 23 foot C&C that I crewed on based out of Kennewick on the Columbia River. Fun times so long ago. If a tsunami ever hit the coast I can't imagine anything that floats surviving. You have a lot more faith than I do.
I realize not everyone can afford a second or third survival vehicle so if it's gonna have two wheels I would definitely get a motorcycle so your wife can ride behind and hang on to you. A motorcycle would have the power you really need and a suspension to go off road when it becomes necessary. There are ways to attach a trailer to a motorcycle and you could always detach it and leave it behind if things got impossible. Just plan on having fun on this bike you plan to build and it will take your mind off "the big one". Best wishes always ...................michael
My sailing vessel is a 70's full keel thick layup pilothouse..hulls indestructible. One reported broke loose from its moorings in a massive storm and spent the night being beaten against a rocky shore...hull scarred but seaworthy...she will survive...talked with one of the lead tsunami researchers based in Seattle...Olympia projected waves won't be a problem....
Yes the Honda 90 sounds like a good bug out vehicle...thanks for the convo Michael....

Id stick with the trail 90, you could get a hitch-mounted motorcycle rack for around 80$ if you need to transport it, that honda will go anywhere you need too (that high low box is super useful if you are gonna be carrying heavy loads)

worst case, you could take off the front and rear wheels and just stuff it in the back of the car if you REALLY needed to get out fast (2 bolts)
I spec'ed the frame size with tires and handbars removed...would fit into my massive trunk....this option would work....I'm going to pull the Honda out tomorrow and take inventory on what is needed to get it setup.. Thanks Mark...

Back