Suggestions for Mixing/Storing fuel at an apartment?

Alibi

Local time
2:57 AM
Hi guys! I joined up quite a while back but I'm just now getting around to putting a bike together. I've got an 80cc kit from SpookyTooth assembled onto an AMX Nimble road bike.

I've ridden the bike around my apartment and everything seems to work right and when I kick the clutch in I hear the motor puffing along happily.

Now I think I'm ready for fuel and to finally give it a test run. The problem I'm running into is that I live in an apartment complex so I'm at a loss on where to store my fuel after I've mixed it in a plastic gas can. I asked the apartment manager if they had a shed for lawnmowers and whatnot where I could store my fuel with theirs but apparently they don't have one. I guess I could just tuck the can away in some bushes behind a bike rack, but I don't really want to leave it out in the elements either.

I know its not safe to store in the trunk of my car either...

And I'm certainly not going to leave a can of gas in a closet in my apartment or anything...

So... that leaves me with either buying cans of pre-mix or mixing gas in my gas tank as mounted on the bike.

I found a local store that has cans of pre-mix but its at 50:1 ratio where Spooky recommends using 20:1 ratio. Could I just dump in a bit more oil into the premix can, mix it together, and then dump that into my bike's tank? The downside is that the premix can is only 1/4 gallon and its like $4/can.

Or would I be better off to go to the local gas station, fill up my tank (all of 1.5 liters which is about .4 gallons so less than a $1) and then mix in oil accordingly and shake the whole bike to mix?

If I just go to the gas station, how much oil would I need to mix in with .4 gallons to get a 20:1 ratio? Or if I go the premix route, how much oil would I need to add to the 50:1 ratio to get to a 20:1 ratio?

What is the problem with keeping it inside if it's in an air tight jerry can such as the plastic ones I use? Just mix it outside if you are bothered by the smell. I use a 25L can and a 5L can.

I mixed it in my tank at the gas station so i dont have to store it in my apartment and then i shake my whole bike. only put about a liter of gas in your tank.

The way I see it you have a few options.

My first choice would be to mix it in a 1 gallon gas can and store the gas can either on my patio (if you have one) or in a closet. Wipe down the can after you're done filling and that should take care of most of the smell. Maybe store the gas can in a rubber made plastic tub.

My next choice would be a MixMizer. It allows you to accurately measure the oil you're adding to your gas so you can mix odd amounts. Sick bike parts sells them here http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...id=77&osCsid=716d712ee32582af0e3d583e0f12e5b0 but you could probably pick one up at your local auto parts store or hardware store in the lawn mower section.

And I'm certainly not going to leave a can of gas in a closet in my apartment or anything...

Why not?

I found a solution! Apparently, the apartment company rents a nearby duplex for the general manager to live in. Why not just have the manager live in an apartment? Well, the duplex has a garage for storing apartment-related stuff like the grill, pool cover, lawn tools, etc.

So... I talked to him and he is cool with me leaving a gas can in the garage as long as I've got it labeled as mine. The only catch is that I'll only be able to get at it during office hours but that shouldn't be a big deal since the motor bike shouldn't take up too much gas anyway.

I don't want to store the gas can in my apartment due to fumes. Even if its just a little bit of fumes, I don't want to deal with it because my apartment is TINY and the fumes would stink it up pretty quick...

And because its tiny, I don't have a patio or a balcony or anything. So yeah... it sucks but I live in a college town where everything is either super old and falling apart or its too new that I can't afford it on my own.

I've got a 2 gallon can and a little bottle of 2 stroke oil that I'm ready to mix with some gas... Spooky just says to run the bike at 20:1, but I think I'm going to break it in at 20:1 and then run it a little higher like 32:1 but we'll see.

You would do best at running it at what ratio Spooky says. I got a spooky motor 2 years ago, run it at 20 and guess what. Still running to this day. I don't have it anymore, but know who does and it still purrs. There is a reason for recommended ratios.

I mixed it in my tank at the gas station so i dont have to store it in my apartment and then i shake my whole bike. only put about a liter of gas in your tank.

this is what I plan on doing (get the MB next week) unless I find out it's OK for me to keep a jerry can in the basement of my apartment. I THINK that the manager keeps the lawn mower gas in the basement... if he does, then it should be OK for me to do the same.

To mix in the tank, put in SOME gas, add the oil, fill with more gas... that would start stirring in the oil... and then go pedal awhile!

Anyone else store their MB in their apartment?

you're not storing plutonium. mix it in a one gallon gas can and put it under the sink with all the other usually flammable or highly toxic cleaning products. if kids visit place it in a high shelf in the closet or kitchen. if you use less than one gallon per month (usually between 95 - 125 miles depending on several variables) then mixing it in your 1.5 liter or 2.5 liter tank at the gas station is the best bet.

"If it aint broke, fix it 'til it is."

I store some gas in my shed outside now. I also have a 4-liter Happy Time tank and an 18oz reserve bottle. So now I ride to the gas station, shut the petcock, pour oil in and pump 92 octane. Then I open the fuel valve, start up and drive off.

Back