Sunlite Springer Replica Fork - 26"

tnjeff

Local time
8:41 AM
I was hoping to use the Sunlite Springer Replica Fork on my Huffy Cranbrook build, but I am confused about the measurements. Here's a link to the page:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-springer-replica-fork-26

It says it has a 180mm - 70mm steerer length. What exactly is the steerer? The part that's threaded? I'm not getting how it can be 180mm to 70mm. Obviously I'm missing something. I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this. Thanks.

Well, after a little googling (should have done that first) I did find out that yes, the steerer is the threaded part. Still not sure about the dimensions but I guess that's really a question for the seller. From what I have learned by looking around, I think that it should fit. Probably. Maybe.

Looks like the steerer is 180MM (7.08") and 70MM (2.75") of it is threaded. I have one of these forks on a pedal bike, and IIRC, that's about the same as what it has.

As long as your Cranbrook has a 1" headtube and a threaded gooseneck, it should work just fine.

Thanks Aleman, that makes it alot clearer. I think I should remove the old fork and measure it before ordering. Thanks again.

Well, I may not use it after all. Looking at the specs again I see that it has no cantilever brake mount. I was counting on using a set of cantilever brakes front and rear. Too bad, because it was a big part of the look I was after.

Something else comes to mind. There've been a few guys who tried that fork, or something similar, and who've felt that it just wasn't quite stout enough for the job.

I think maybe it's a soft spring with a lot of movement and it might be squirrely on an MB.

Though it might still work if you rode it gently. And you could always get a front wheel with a drum brake. They are just a bit pricey. But fine braking.

Well, I may not use it after all. Looking at the specs again I see that it has no cantilever brake mount. I was counting on using a set of cantilever brakes front and rear. Too bad, because it was a big part of the look I was after.
That fork will take a C-brake.

2_TouchLowL.jpg

I don't care for it though, too flimsy, difficult to install, and they don't really provide any shock action.
In short, only good for the 'look'.

I may be with you on that. I have a set of cantilever brakes, but a c brake would work. I wonder what another option would be? I don't want to go the double spring springer route. Pricey, and not really the era I'm looking for.

I wonder what another option would be?
I don't want to go the double spring springer route.
Pricey, and not really the era I'm looking for.
I have a GT2 4-stroke 10G build coming up and using this springer

41Dajfop29L.jpg

It has disc brake bosses and getting a disc like the rear, the newest GT2 frames will take a 3" tire and have both V and disc brake bosses.
It's triple the price of the cheapie but twice as tough and actually provides some suspension.

Back