Super heavy duty front freewheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Vendor
Local time
4:53 AM
Last year we decided to go to the source and have a custom freewheel made. As you might imagine, having a custom freewheel manufactured is not an inexpensive proposition, but we wanted a bulletproof front freewheel. Made in USA exclusively for Sick Bike Parts by White Industries.

Super Heavy Duty Freewheel

Also we are now selling a freewheel removal tool.

Freewheel Removal Tool

is the new HD freewheel thicker or diff. in any way that will affect the alignments of an established build ?

thanks,
steve

That is a bit of a tricky question and it depends on the application but here is the simple answer. Yes it is essentially a direct replacement. However, the mounting flange is slightly thicker which offers a little more space between the two chainrings reducing the chances of the two chains touching.

As far as construction it is a completely different freewheel. It uses a 3 pawl engagement system compared to 2 with the standard ones and also has a precision sealed bearing as apposed to the loose ball type.

is the new HD freewheel thicker or diff. in any way that will affect the alignments of an established build ?

thanks,
steve

Jim nailed it. They are the same, but not identical. You can take a Dicta FW off and put a White one on, though. Same screws.

Here's a shot of both from opposite sides. Don't have the same perspective view of both right now.

Attachments

• whitefw.jpg
    whitefw.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,781
  • FW1.JPG
    FW1.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 2,237
Little help understanding this item? I was looking everywhere for front freewheels and they are generally listed as bmx trials bike accessories. Here for example..
http://www.biketrialstation.com/fw.html
..where they are listed as variously 9 pawl, 6 pawl, or "two sets of three pawls".
Is your SHD freewheel three "sets" of pawls, therefore a "nine pawl"?

I was trying to figure out how to weld/attach chainrings to one of these. But it looks like you might have developed exactly what I'm looking for.

Your version seems to be modeled on the bottom-most 'White Industries" but in place of the toothed sprocket, it has a flange for mounting chainrings. Do I have this right?

Little help understanding this item? I was looking everywhere for front freewheels and they are generally listed as bmx trials bike accessories. Here for example..
http://www.biketrialstation.com/fw.html
..where they are listed as variously 9 pawl, 6 pawl, or "two sets of three pawls".
Is your SHD freewheel three "sets" of pawls, therefore a "nine pawl"?

I was trying to figure out how to weld/attach chainrings to one of these. But it looks like you might have developed exactly what I'm looking for.

Your version seems to be modeled on the bottom-most 'White Industries" but in place of the toothed sprocket, it has a flange for mounting chainrings. Do I have this right?

Sounds like marketing "stuff". Ours has 3 locations/sets of pawls.

Yes, you can see it in the pictures.

Thanks so much, I looked at the photos and at your video. This is exactly what I need.

What is the cost of a replacement bearing to have on-hand for spare?
I'm new here and elsewhere was posting to get advice on applying a 4cycle weed trimmer engine to the crankset instead of the rear hub. Essentially that is how I found my way to sickbikeparts and then backward to this link!

I'd like to order the Heavy Duty front freewheel and your chainrings. I'll have to conceive of a way to reduce my 4cycle enough to make use of the front crankset with these items since it does not have the internal gearing of the Chinese 80cc. I realize that a 26cc 4cycle is going to be pretty anemic for this application, but I'm really only interested in supplementing my pedaling to very moderately increase speed and lessen fatigue (+speed - fatigue = enjoyment).

The only thing I'd like better than your solution would be the ability to pedal independant of (without engaging) the jackshaft and motor transmission. Unless I'm misapprehending what I saw in the video. It would make motorless pedaling much easier. I guess it would only be a matter of one more freewheel on the right side of the jackshaft. But then how would you start the motor? A tiny handlebar actuated clutch on the right of the jackshaft maybe? Ever seen anything like this? Then the motor is direct coupled to the reduction without needing a centrifugal clutch. If nothing else, I guess the jackshaft freewheel and pull start would do the trick (but lever starting while rolling would be soooo much nicer).

Last edited:
We have not priced the bearing out. We can do it this week or so.

Just order those listed items from our website.

If we could develop a low cost, low tooling/set-up cost jackshafted clutch we would have our 4 stroke kit be the kat's meow.

You would indeed! The concept is valid. I pointed out in another thread that the cable operated blade disengagement clutch under my honda push mower is an example of such, although about 2/3 overbuilt and overweight for use on a motorized bike. That leads me to believe that a version might exist out there somewhere if I knew where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back