SUPER NOOB please help. looking for the info that everybody assumes i know.

Kickitandholdit

Local time
9:14 PM
Ok, im about to buy a bike for riding to campus. I want to build a 66/80cc bike.

Ok kingsmotorbikes sales a bike that is military green which is awesome to me. Is it worth buying and shipping a bike?

Questions.

1. Do i need to buy a specific bike or will any 26'' schwinn beach cuzer work?

1.5 Can i get a normal wallmart bike or does it have to be compatible with these kits?

2. Will this bike work with one of these motor kits?
http://valdosta.craigslist.org/bik/2286845442.html

3. What in the world does 66/80cc mean? Is it an 80cc or 66cc? Whats the difference between an 80cc and a 66/80cc?

4. what kit seems to be the most quality kit?

5. Is there any way to make these motors super quiet? like use a larger scooter muffler to make it quieter.

6. What normally breaks with these kits?

7. Im a very experienced person rebuilding small engines (1-2 cylinder) and im very mechanically inclined (build jeeps) so.. how long do you think a mechanically inclined person can install one of these kits?

8. Does anybody just feel really aquward riding a bicycle with a motor?

9. Should i stay away from ebay when getting a kit? Whats shipping prices look like when getting these kits?

10. When buying a bike what things should i look for? Any special curves in the frame? Any special type of brakes needed?

11. Thank you for reading all of my questions!!

Here is a template of the engine. Wal-mart bikes are used a lot in these forums. There is not to many bikes the little engine wont fit.
Should maybe buy a 4stroke if you want a quiet engine and have a little mobottom end torque. Check out the suppliers the advertize on the sites here. they also give the demensions for the engines.
The better the brakes the better the stoping,whatever you you get make sure to have front brakes.
Read the forums and you will find all the pro's& con's

http://www.gasbikeshop.com/downloads/engine-template.jpg

The Bike on KingsMotorBikes is a decent price, and the motor will fit.

The 80/66 designation is a "truth in advertising" sort of thing. The displacement is actually 66cc, but these used to be called 80cc. I don't know what the 80cc measurement was based on. Any of these that call themselves 80cc are truthfully 66cc. ALL of them.

I personally feel that the most important part of picking a motor is first picking a reputable vendor (any of the sponsors of this forum). Customer service is worth a lot more than saving ten bucks buying through eBay.

1. Do i need to buy a specific bike or will any 26'' schwinn beach cuzer work?
most 26" bikes work
1.5 Can i get a normal wallmart bike or does it have to be compatible with these kits?
buy the best bike you can you will be happier and it will work better

3. What in the world does 66/80cc mean? Is it an 80cc or 66cc? Whats the difference between an 80cc and a 66/80cc?
the chinese and americans measure displacement differnt chinese measurement includes volume of the head
4. what kit seems to be the most quality kit?
i would go with one of the vendors that have ads on this site
6. What normally breaks with these kits?
everything you abuse,.. probably #1 is spokes on rear wheel,.. if you really want a good bike spend the money on a sick bike parts shift kit,.. it is a much better ride
7. Im a very experienced person rebuilding small engines (1-2 cylinder) and im very mechanically inclined (build jeeps) so.. how long do you think a mechanically inclined person can install one of these kits?
dont rush make sure everything is secure,.. maintenance is a big thing with these kits
8. Does anybody just feel really aquward riding a bicycle with a motor?
only when passing those spandex wearing pedal snobs going uphill without pedaling (its more of a "sorry,... sux to be them" feeling)
10. When buying a bike what things should i look for? Any special curves in the frame? Any special type of brakes needed?
as heavy a frame as possible preferably steel (i used a 1960's beachcruzer frame) BRAKES!!!!!!! are vital,.. best are disk,.. drum work very well (i like a matched set of sturmey archer drum brake hubs,.. 8 speed internal gear on the rear matching drum brake hub on front,.. well worth the money)
11. Thank you for reading all of my questions!!
your welcome,.. you may do better looking for an older bike frame and building your bike as you want it (ie good hubs,.. built into good wheels,.. some front suspension is good,.. bumps at 30 are a whole lot differnt than bumps at 10mph,.. whatever you go with remember the bike will treat you as you treat it,.. if you ride it easy it will hold together and get ya where ya wanna go,.. also remember it is a bicycle if your looking to do more than 30-40 top speed your looking at the wrong vehicle,... most important !! get the sick bike parts shift kit,.. you wont regret it,.. it makes it a much better ride

Dear Sir-I bought a 26" rim Huffy brand Cranebrook Beach cruiser from Walmart and mated her to a 48cc Grubbee 2 stroke motor. Fitting the engine was arduous, and I had to replace the stock chain and intake tube. Other than that, she's been running pretty well for almost 400 miles:) My dollars worth-Gearhead

Last edited:
Back