Supercharged 2-stroke engine

supercharedcustoms

Local time
4:26 AM
New member here on this forum. Not new to building custom bikes cars trucks or anything else fast enough to get hurt in. My latest project is taking one of these cheap chinese motors and supercharging it. I will put up a thread of how i did this with pictures when it is done. Right now it is still in the works and I want to complete it and have pics and specs for everyone before I release how it is done. If your interested in having some killer hp out of one of these lil' motors stay tuned.

Very sweet endeavor Super.. I for one would be very interested in your results, no matter the outcome.

Now, don't take this the wrong way but, other than saying that you did it (which could be enough of a reason for doing it) I'd be asking why use a HT engine when you could just use another like the Morini and get the same, if not more performance out of it and definitely, more long-term reliability? You will definitey have to go into the engine to make it survive, which will easily overcome the cost of an equally powered Morini.

Like I said, it sounds cool and I'd be really interested in seeing how you do it. I've got a supercharger on my 85 Corvette and many folks said it couldn't be done. I get your enthusiasm. But there are some laws of physics that need to be overcome (as I'm sure you know quite well). I wish you well with it and please, keep us informed! Should be fun!

While I can see this working in principle I'm not sure this is a great idea with something with such variable build quality - have you seen what happens when a supercharged engine throws a rod?

I saw a tractor-pull once where some bright spark had put 4 supercharged tractor engines inline on one chassis - the black smoke was impressive enough - the white smoke, and flying rod complete with coconut sized flying piston that imbedded itself into the earth by a good foot - was even more impressive (especially to the 5 year old girl it missed by inches)

Having that between my legs at 30+mph is not something I wish to experience.

I can see how this would work - Ettore Bugatti came up with something similar although in his case it was a chain driven double lobe rootes type on a 18cc engine - but I would trust his engineering and quality control much more than I would a CGE

I personally see little point in this since with a little work a frame mount setup could easily be made to take the current crop of 4-5hp 2 stroke tuned engines from people such as DDM - twice the power on half the displacement - not to mention you'd get more power yet with a tuned pipe and my low percent nitro/petroil mix... True they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for and personally even the NA CGE's have always been a false economy.

By all means see if it can be done - but I would be very suspicious if this could be done safely with the current stock of CG engines - and if an engine of this configuration fails under load I for one would not want to be the person liable for supplying it... because if it throws a rod or a piston through the side or head the only bits between it and the outside world in general will be important parts of the riders anatomy... not to mention the resulting accident and the injuries that could cause...

Jemma xx

Currently i am working on a design for A high performance motor.
Thus far i have produced some pretty good power outta the HT.
But i rebuild them from the ground up.

The cases are very thin and i have seen a messed up rod from a out of the box motor.
I've been thinking about the engine exploding myself.

I've got a plan but before i build the stage 3 motor the safty of the engine will be thourally considered.

Supercharging a 2 cycle sounds impressive.
What are you going to accomplish???

All you do is increase the pressure in the case.
If you increase the pressure too much you only blow the fuel outta the exhaust.
Transfer port and exhaust port are open at the same time.
Not much gain there more of a loss.

There is an optimal pressure for the motor.
Supercharging is more harm than good.

Supercharge a 4 stroke not a 2 stroke.

That's the best advice i can give you.

By porting intake port can be kept open slightly longer than the exhaust port leaving room for a couple psi of boost. Note the rod and piston have been beefed up through tig welding and remachining them to handle the increased power.

I am using a centifugal style supercharger that isn't run off the crank rather a high amp hour 12v battery that would require recarging

I used to design US Navy Ship Shafts.

I hope you are shot peening that rod.
Welding actually makes things weaker.
Are you heat treating it properly to relieve the stress induced by welding?

There allready is a supercharger for the 2 stroke.

2 words.

Expansion Chamber !!
= up to 7psi boost.

BTW

BATTERIES NOT REQUIRED.

Cool work though mann.
Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Just be careful thats all.
It cost a whole lot of money for an Engineering Degree.
I still owe over $30,000.

Sometimes it's the little things that are overlooked that become disastorus.

Ok... a few things...

1.) Its perfectly possible to supercharge a 2-stroke. The deltics were scavenged blown engines and that was effectively supercharging - as was the unreleased chrysler neon 2 stroke engine (yes really). The problem as I see it in this application is that you would indeed blow half the charge straight through the engine and out the other end - sorta like politicians with intelligent ideas... thats assuming the thing just doesnt detonate in the first 100 yards.

The solution?

Reed valve the exhaust port - problem solved.

2.) A Tuned Pipe is in no way a supercharger or a turbocharger. If its anything its a resonance inverse-induction device to momentarily increase compression. It works in exactly the opposite way to mopars sonoramic system in that it provides a powerful boost at certain RPM's and a noticable effect at all others but from the exhaust side not the intake side.

Using both reed valve exhaust and tuned pipe together with some sort of supercharging could give very impressive power but it would have to be tuned just right.

Also if you are going to supercharge a 2-stroke - why not run the pressurised air through a tuned induction pipe - give you two bites of the cherry?...

3. - here is my problem with all this... its all well and good turning the equivalent of a lawnmower engine into its F1 equivalent - but while it will be fun while it lasts it wont last very long... you are putting alot of money into something but you are starting from a poor initial position...

namely...

1. **** castings
2. **** manufacture
3. Out of the box longevity about equal to a Heinkel 177 on a dry day
4. designed deliberately to be placed between sensitive parts of your anatomy

I have been on this site a long time now and I would say 80% of anything relating to 2-strokes is "my CGE has blown up/wont start/wont pull/sounds like a cat being swung round by its nuts"... and you want to design a supercharged engine based on that?!

The thing is - you can get an engine off the shelf that provides a similar amount of power in a smaller and more reliable naturally aspirated package (because its based on commercial kit from known suppliers) - has scope to be tuned and piped - and would provide up to twice the power needed to shred every spoke on your back wheel... sure its a rackmount or nothing at the moment but I think peoples expertise would be better used by making a frame mounting to take something like the GP460s and their ilk..

Look at it this way - you can build a race engine in two ways - you could take a stock 440 - replace its guts, port and polish it and slap on 2 by 4bbl Carters - change the timing, change the cams, try and convince it not to wheeze like a 70 year old once it gets over 7000rpm - and you would end up with a half decent motor...

Or you could go out and get the crate motor version for maybe $500 more overall - and you could have something that both can win races and doesnt immolate itself on its own big-end every 2nd week...

There is a point where you run into the law of diminishing returns - and I think to be honest for the amount of work you are going to have to put in to make this reliable you are beyond that.

4. Another point is that generally blown or turbocharged engines run a lower compression than stock motors - eg Chrysler 2.5 NA - 9.5:1 or 10:1 - 2.5 Turbo III - 8.0:1 so when the battery you are using dies mid ride (which trust me it invariably will, most likely halfway up a hill) you will not only lose boost but you will end up with something that wont have the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding... How about driving the compressor off the drive chain - saves fuel consumption at idle and ramps up with engine acceleration. It would pull a little power off the motor but not anything particularly noticable.

Jemma xx

Back