Superknife Ultrashears

loquin

Local time
10:50 AM
This thing is the best cutter I've found for things like hoses, rope, and the like.

If it fits in the jaws, this thing will cut it, straight and even... It literally cuts through a phone book like butter. And, when the blade gets knicked, replace it - it uses standard utility knife blades.

Just keep fingers clear of the blade, 'cause I believe it would just as easily take one off!

Attachments

• tylertool_2125_681667827.jpg
    tylertool_2125_681667827.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 304
I find I'm using it more and more. My wife bought a welcome mat a couple of months back, but it was about an inch too wide to fit between the door frame...

so, out come the ultrashears, and snip-snip in each corner, and it fits like a custom mat now.

I bought one for my daughter, too. She is a bassoon player, and she makes her own reeds. This cutter is just the ticket for cutting the ends of the reeds off, straight, even and clean. (bassoon reed makers can buy a special end nipper that'll set you back nearly a hundred bucks ($150 for the 'good' ones,) but it doesn't cut the reeds any better...)

Last edited:
Now that is somebodies *better idea*. I've used anvil shears before, but never one with a replaceable blade. Looks like my next "must have" tool.

Looks like the right tool to check out how tough box cutter blades are! Will it make it through a quarter?

Never tried it. A heavy duty blade ... might. (the blade rests in a shouldered 'bed' machined into the upper jaw of the snipper with the screw clamp to hold it against the jaw (ref cross section sketch below.) The weak point would probably be the lower bed, or anvil - it's made of a high density plastic, similar to Delron. It might allow the blade to shift enough to shatter under high pressure. If you were to try, be sure to wear safety glasses, and standing behind a post, so that your chest/throat isn't exposed, would probably be a good idea... Some sort of armor, anyway!

I'm pretty sure that it would cut through a penny, (they're mostly zinc) but nickels or quarters might be too hard.

Last edited:
Yeah. I've got a flake of chisel buried in the bone of my thumb - it spalled off as I struck the chisel, back when I was about 15. It went in so fast and clean that I didn't even know I was bleeding at first. Then, I didn't associate it with the chisel, except to think that I had accidentally scratched my thumb on a sharp corner. It healed over, but was sore for a couple of weeks... no big deal. It wasn't until I had the thumb x-rayed 'bout 5 years ago (and about 35 years after it happened!) that the doctor asked about it, and THEN :unsure: I associated the little cut (and scar) on my thumb with the chisel incident... The flake is about as big around as a BB.

Apparently, it's small enough that the MRI's I've had done on my knees haven't budged it. (Probably mostly rust by now, too!)

Last edited:
Yup! I learned that one the hard way too! I had a flake hit me below the safety glasses and now grind the "mushroom heads" off! You have to if you don't like that sort of thing! Luckily, mine didn't go in that deep but I can see how it would!

Back