Sure-Stop Brakes. A good idea for our M.B.'s?

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
12:58 AM
So I just seen these Sure-Stop Brakes on Shark Tank. Just wondering what everyone things about this?
If someone decides to go with quality caliper brakes and use this Sure-Stop Brake "technology" to assist in braking bias this could be a good idea right? On Shark Tank it looked like the guy really tried to take a header of the bar & he didn't go anywhere. I was trying to see what type of dual brake lever their using too, seems like a basic one to me. They said Pacific is releasing a bike model with the braking at Walmart & of course their own Guardian Bikes have the brakes offered now, crazy they actually manufactured their own bikes just to market their brakes but maybe they are on to something, Mark Cuben felt strongly enough about the company that he forked over $500,000 for 20% equity.
http://surestop.bike/

can't get that page to work in any of my browsers - is it just another crappy dual cable lever - are their bikes just same chinese bikes that everyone puts their own decals on

can't get that page to work in any of my browsers - is it just another crappy dual cable lever - are their bikes just same chinese bikes that everyone puts their own decals on
The link worked fine for me. I guess you could google Sure Stop Brakes and see what I'm referring to. To answer your question no they aren't your typical crappy parts. The braking system isn't like anything I've seen before. I think the way it works is the back caliper brake allows the brake pads some play, the pad looks like it moves along the rim about an inch slowing the bike down and when the pad comes to the end of that inch space it then engages the front brake. I guess the timing/bias prevents the drive from going over the handle bars. I'm just guessing that's how it works, what I do know is if your going to go with V Brakes these seem like a really good invention.

The link worked fine for me. I guess you could google Sure Stop Brakes and see what I'm referring to. To answer your question no they aren't your typical crappy parts. The braking system isn't like anything I've seen before. I think the way it works is the back caliper brake allows the brake pads some play, the pad looks like it moves along the rim about an inch slowing the bike down and when the pad comes to the end of that inch space it then engages the front brake. I guess the timing/bias prevents the drive from going over the handle bars. I'm just guessing that's how it works, what I do know is if your going to go with V Brakes these seem like a really good invention.
If it prevents the rider from choosing to press the eject button, that's a very bad thing! Being able to go OTB when an impact with a car is unavoidable is absolutely necessary for your safety. You said it yourself after your crash. If you just slammed straight into the bars while the front wheel impacts and turns the bars towards your abdomen, and/or slam your face into the side or front of the car you will probably get hurt much worse than if you go over the top of your bars and flip or slide over the car.
If it was actually a good idea and technically superior product that could sell on it's merit, then it wouldn't need to be on Shark Tank.

guess I'll wait to see one on the street - sounds like it keeps the front brake from working well enough to stop the wheel

also seems another 'one fail kills two brakes' item - I'd like at least one brake to get home on

Saw the video not sure the legality of it here in Texas as the transportation code states for bicycles that you have to be able to lock your wheels up with your brakes to be compliant for on road use.

Saw the video not sure the legality of it here in Texas as the transportation code states for bicycles that you have to be able to lock your wheels up with your brakes to be compliant for on road use.
I think that law is intended moreso to prevent an idiot from riding around with dead brakes or even no brakes, makes sense to say you should be able to lock up the wheel because that means the brakes are definitely fully capable of stopping the bike during everyday use.

More of a precaution type law to keep things running civil. One would believe that on the road if comparing a bicycle to every other vehicle except very small motorcycles it is almost impossible to lock the front wheel up and flip over the front wheel unless it's intentional. My bike with my weight on it alone and those 3 inch tires I've locked up the front wheel a small small number of times and only skid the wheel never even had the rear hop up even a bit.

Between going over the bars and hitting a vehicle I pick neither and accept which ever one happens in the situation. I would rather try to ride as carefully as possible as to avoid that type of event, I don't believe that that braking system would make my normal rides any more unsafe than what I normally would be expecting, except that my front wheel would not lock up, since I don't do that often and don't think that I ride bikes enough to consider the over the handlebars method to be part of my braking arsenal, double pull levers and adjusting so the rear catches first, however, is..

Back