Surly Front Rack

azisme

Local time
1:50 PM
Does anyone know if a Surly Nice front rack will work on a suspension fork? I read somewhere that it does not, but I can't figure out why not after viewing the mounting instructions.

Hi Azisme
I don't think Surly rack will but old man mountain makes a couple racks that are made for suspension forks they have two different mounts for them I have never used them myself but they are supposed to be very good racks. Hope that helps ya

I like the old man mountain racks, but they will not work for me. This is for a bike with an electric motor in the hub so the wheel has a bolt on axel rather than the standard quick release.

Why do you think the Surly won't work? I don't see what the problem would be. Am I missing something?

I don't think the the Surly rack will work I just ckecked thier site in the parts section yes they are made for bikes with 26" rims but they are designed for touring bikes with rigid forks. That is why I mentioned Old Man Mountain racks. With Surly you would need eyelets for standard lowrider racks. YOu should be able to get a bike shop to change the hub to a quick release I would think. Hope that helps ya good luck. There is a rack that might work from wallbike here's the site for you I just don't know for sure if this will work on a suspension for you would have to call them

http://www.wallbike.com/jandd/extremefrontrack.html

Thanks for your replies bikebum, but I still do not understand why the Surly rack won't work. It has hardware that mounts below the point where the suspension tubes enter the fork.

Ironically, I have already ordered the Jandd rack that you are recommending, but I am planning on returning it as soon as it arrives. The reason is the rack is only rated for 25 lbs of cargo and I will be carrying around 25+ to 35 pounds over hard packed trails with occasional ruts at speeds of up to 25 mph. The Surly rack is rated at 70 pounds.

The morning after I ordered the Jandd rack, I broke one of the supports on my Topeak rear rack which is why I have decided not to use the Jandd rack. The construction is very similar, where the Surely rack is made of Crome-Moly instead of aluminum.

Can anyone see a reason why the Surly rack will not work on a suspension fork?

I agree with your point on using the Surly best advice I can offer is give them a call and maybe take a couple pics of your fork so I might get a better idea on what you have to deal with. Like I said just going by what they said on thier site still may be best to ask them I called them about thier frames once friendly people they would know. I just know that the OMM racks were made for mountain bikers with suspension forks on thier bikes but hope that helps you. And The wieght you are talking about would be the most I would put on the front myself. Did you think about trying a bob trailer? Again never used one just a thought for you. I'm sure you could get it to work. They even make one with a suspension on it too. Good luck

I still do not understand why the Surly rack won't work. It has hardware that mounts below the point where the suspension tubes enter the fork.

Can anyone see a reason why the Surly rack will not work on a suspension fork?

me either -- looks like it should work fine -- unless Iam missing something

as azisme says -- it's only connecting below where the tubes move

ride that thing

Even though I already decided to return the Jandd rack, I checked to see how it fit on my bike. It does not work! The rack is too narrow to fit the width of my suspension fork. Even if someone decided to do some serious coaxing, I don't think it would work at all, and certainly not well.

FYI, the inside width of the rack is about 5.25 inches. The maximum outside width of my forks is easily 6 inches. I sure hope I don't have the same problem with the Surly rack. Does anyone have one they can measure for me? Mine isn't due to arrive for another week.

Back