Suspension fork on beach cruiser?

Rock Shox for Cruiser bike,now with fork stem reduced to 1"...machined from a single piece high-tensile steel,then press fitted. :D

Before:
View attachment 18846

After:
View attachment 18847
View attachment 18848

That's a good fork I got one of those. Saving for another project. Did not know it would be that hard to convert over. Guess I will be welding grinding and welding another tube for the next cruiser? That fork is air assist right. That's what mine is that looks like yours. [ have to use a special air pump] ?

does anyone who has the "springer" fork use v-brakes or a standard caliper brake on it? I do not know if the forks ("schwinn style") accept front brakes.

I want a spring fork because its common and I can just buy one from Sick and be done with it. But I don't want to give up my brake!

This is one main reason I was interested in a suspension fork, to go to V-brakes if possible.

I bought a fork online but its not a early rocshox like they said, its actaully a **** dept store bike fork called groun assault. I think I will throw it away. I've heard they fail and there was a recall.

does anyone who has the "springer" fork use v-brakes or a standard caliper brake on it? I do not know if the forks ("schwinn style") accept front brakes.

I want a spring fork because its common and I can just buy one from Sick and be done with it. But I don't want to give up my brake!

This is one main reason I was interested in a suspension fork, to go to V-brakes if possible.

I bought a fork online but its not a early rocshox like they said, its actaully a **** dept store bike fork called groun assault. I think I will throw it away. I've heard they fail and there was a recall.

Yes I can get springer forks with V-brake bosses but they are made in China and i live in Australia. I wouldn't consider a springer unless it had a v-brake because I installing a Shimano or Sturmey Archer drum brake is expensive and only encourages the springer fork vendors to keep on supplying brakeless forks. A single bolt caliper brake just isn't good enough but the v-brake is pretty OK. It would be too expensive to air freight you one but I get them cheap from the importer in Australia. The Schwinn here has V-brake on the springer (Deluxe 7 model only) because it is illegal in most courtries to have sell a bike without 2 independent brakes.
The Electras here come with a single bolt caliper brake on the springer on a $1200 bike which I find insulting. If you pay the freight I would gladly ship you one at cost price (no mark-up) cos you are an MBc member.
A good front brake is essential on a bike I reckon.

1" Suspension fork?

You might try contacting Mike Simpson of Simpson Motor Bikes (Motorbike Mike) He was at an event I attended this past summer and he had a 1" threaded steerer fork that he was offering for I believe it was right around $100.00. It was a brand new fork and would accept either cantilever brakes or a Disc.

ocscully

IrishJohn. Thank you for the information and offer. I am getting around well on the stock rigid fork (common beach cruiser called Madwagon, obsolete brand).
I am a light weight person with strong hands, so I do well with the caliper brake and rear coaster brake. (The caliper brake has a v lever and is predictable, the coaster brake is strong enough to lock the wheel at 20+mph) .

I think V brake bosses are the best option, because V brakes, even the cheap ones, have lots more stopping power than older type brakes (esp short arm cantilevers).

I'll look around for a vendor here. Surely one of the MB vendors like Sick will have a proper fork.

Thank you much for the offer though. I didn't know that it was illegal anywhere to sell a bike without 2 brakes. What about track/velo bicycles and beach cruisers? They only really need a single brake if any (velodrome bikes don't use rim brakes).

In Texas, USA, I think the law about operating a bicycle on the roadway requires "A brake equipped wheel capable of making the braked tire skid." This has been used to ticket some "fixie" riders in Austin TX (track bicycles).

I ran into this same problem when looking for a suspension fork for my point beach cruiser. You can find a few suspension forks with the 1" threaded tube, my problem was trying to find one with enough length.

My solution was simple, I cut the steer tube from the old forks and welded it to the new suspension forks. (I had a guy at work weld it, he is an old aerospace welder, im a bird poop welder)

I never did use the fork, I got rid of that bicycle before installing. I should sell the thing...

hummm.. Ill post in the 4sale section

?

i wanted to add a suspension fork to my 26 inch beach cruiser from wall mart.. but wasnt sure if i could use the setup i have now with the fork..

i have those cheap heads that have 1 bolt and use pressure to hold it in the tube.. could i use that on a threadless one with all the hardware i use now?

No.

i wanted to add a suspension fork to my 26 inch beach cruiser from wall mart.. but wasnt sure if i could use the setup i have now with the fork..

i have those cheap heads that have 1 bolt and use pressure to hold it in the tube.. could i use that on a threadless one with all the hardware i use now?

I wanna put a rockshox 30 sliver tk on my old schwinn landmark beach cruiser but the bike has a quil stem and I don't know if a quil stem will work on a mountain bike fork so I think I have to buy a thread less headset and some new bars in order for the fork to work on my bike

Back