Suspension seat posts any good?

JerboaJohn

Local time
7:57 AM
my cruiser is going to be on the heavy side of 80lbs and ttl me + bike will be more than 250. I was thinking would it be practical to get a suspension post or maybe just a Serfas FS saddle. lots good reviews on that seat. I have downhill forks and pretty big tires, 2.4 F 2.8" R, roads are not very smooth around here. I just want most comfy ride possible.
Anyone have experience with those air or spring type seat posts?

Cheap spring loaded ones will just bottom out from your weight and only move up when hitting a bump from the ones I've had. The expensive ones over $100 have good reviews but I've never owned one. Some of them are $250ish, ouch!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
hmm. I myself weigh like 160 but the bike is a really heavy 4 stroke stretch cruiser. but i guess i am the sprung weight that matters. my friend told me dont trust those cheap ones esp if you hit a hole at 30mph it'll bottom out hard

i tend to swerve all potholes i see but im forced to ride moslty sidewalks around me due to being surrounded by 6 lane hwy everywhere here plus i live quarter mile from literally one of the most deadly and accident prone Apex/Intersection/Hwy spots in the country but it makes motocrossing curbs and just the horrible conditions and bouncing of a side walk at 50mph alooot better and i weigh 160 and always carry a purposly weighted bag of atleast 45lbs on my back so price wise i thhink its worth it plus it helps take stress off the frame in general
https://www.nbc-2.com/story/35246325/us-41-considered-no-2-deadliest-road-in-nation

I have one bike with the telescopic type, just because it came with the bike. I can confirm it is worse than useless.
The parallelogram types do look better, but I haven't tried them. I don't have room for one on my motorised bike and the price is too much for the other bikes which are not a priority anymore. There are two types (at least). One has a spring inside the seat post which is depressed by a little cam sort of thing, a nub on the inside of the parallelogram. The other one has an elastomer inside the parallelogram.
Elastomers can have a damping effect so that should be better than an undamped spring, but they change in elasticity between hot and cold conditions. It might be useless in the winter, or even in the summer once it has been heated by being worked.. But that's my opinion based on what I know about the materials not on experience.
Neither would allow me to fit my seatpost mounted rear rack so I've been spared that expensive avenue of research lol.

I have one there nice but they only work well with the weight of the individual so make sure you find one that will work for your body weight they can be too soft or too stiff depending on you weight

Last edited:
i got a red one of these used for 13$ i wouldnt ride without it but hes right if you weigh more than like 200lbs itll just compress the moment your cheeks make landing i almost bought a thud buster with 100mm travel but their pricey
https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Black-S...qid=1547565585&sr=8-39&keywords=zoom+seatpost

Note the O.D. size of that seatpost, not all cruisers come with the same size as this, which is closer to a high end CroMoly steel road bike frame.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back