SW Virginia safe for MB'S

geebt48cc

Local time
2:19 PM
Hey room,

I've been riding around the very back roads here in SWVa. So, I'm riding a 26", 48cc Skyhawk with front and rear lights. My helmet has mirror attached ........................

So, question is, should I be prepared to be bothered by the Blue-Boys?

appreciate,
Glen

Weather legal (as here in AL) or not, be prepared. Read up on your laws and then when you (notice "when" and not "if") are stopped YOU know the rules. I'd bet less then 10% of LEO's might know them. Here in Calera none that we talked to did and after we hit the road with the bikes have we educated them.

http://www.vdot.virginia.gov/programs/bk-laws.asp#Mopeds

How I read it they are legal...others may say no.

Last edited:
""Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle that has a gasoline engine that (i) displaces less than 150 cubic centimeters; (ii) has a seat less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground; and (iii) has no manufacturer-issued vehicle identification number."

that sounds like an unusually generous and forgiving definition of a motorized bicycle. The article at the link doesn't seem to specify the licensing, insurance, and registration required above and beyond this: "Moped operators must be at least 16 years old and must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth." Based on that, it looks like one just needs to have an ID to operate a moped. If so, I would say that's the same for a MB.

I haven't done this yet myself, but it's not a bad idea to carry a hard copy of whatever statues and provisions apply to you and your bike.

I've not yet been approached by police even though at one stoplight I was stopped near three bicycle cops and I've passed at least a dozen in patrol cars. The laws in Wisconsin state that one has to possess at least a driver's license, but it does not have to be a moped/motorcycle license and the bike itself does not have to be registered or insured-- as long as it's not capable of more than 30 mph. I've got head- and tail- lights that exceed bicycle requirements/recommendations and will soon have motorcycle grade brake light and turn signals.

Thanks Red...

So, can I ask you where you found a brake and turn signal assy. I too, would like to have something like that as long as it wasn't to big.

appreciate,

Glen:unsure: PS: You guys really hit the Viking last night!~ Poor Bret!~

Last edited:
I laughed out LOUD when Brett fell all on his lonesome in that last play! It was an exciting game the whole way, too.

anyway... everything is off eBay:

Master switch with turn signals I am going to attach the running lights to the HI-LO beams where HI = on and LO = off

Turn signals I am going to mount these together by sticking them into the ends of a piece of copper or PVC piping that is just long enough.

Brake lights this is brake light and running light in one.

Head Light I don't have this YET, but I will be getting it to replace the halogen light I got. a completely LED system will draw less power than halogens.
Brake/Clutch lever with brake light switch Granted, this will activate the brake light when I pull the clutch, but that's OK since pulling the clutch probably means I am slowing down... It also has a "parking brake" latch as the stock clutch levers do. Not mandatory, but too convenient to skip.

SLA Battery system is powered with this battery, which is rechargeable (though I recharge it in the house, not through the magneto)

I don't have everything hooked up-- heck, I don't even HAVE everything. I've got the halogen headlight and the brake light hooked up to the battery in a way where disconnecting the battery is the only way to shut everything off.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The pertinent section is this......

Moped" means every vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground that has (i) a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground and (ii) gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that displaces less than 50 cubic centimeters. Moped operators must be at least 16 years old and must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth. A moped is considered a vehicle while operated on a highway. Mopeds can not be ridden on sidewalks or bike paths. Some localities in Northern Virginia may impose restrictions on the operation of mopeds. Localities can require additional safety equipment for moped operation.

Very nice... Moped = Bicycle

Just remember a town may enact it's own laws..

Look up every town you are planning to travel through and check their laws..

Place to go is...

Www.municode.com

Last edited:
My understanding of Virginia laws is that motorized bikes are OK. I have ridden extensively in Northern Virginia and around Lexington VA with no trouble at all.

Hey there,

So, I wanted to know what kind of riding do you do in Va.? I mean, always road, speeds, other cars, lights, do you just wave people by when they are on your back? See, I'm just trying to get off the very back roads...............just a little scared that the police will just use that as a reason to kill some of there shift time and curiosty of the bike. Then you would have to go into a long spill all about the bike?

Anyway, that was my reason for going with just a 48cc for legal time on road.

Appreciate your time
Glen

From what I read, our bikes are generally considered mopeds in VA (those with 50cc or smaller engines, that is,) and can be ridden at speeds up to 35 mph, but cannot be ridden in bike lanes. Unfortunately, motor driven cycles (motorcycles with engines between 50cc and 150cc,) are not allowed on the roads in VA.

Last edited:
Hey there,

So, I wanted to know what kind of riding do you do in Va.? I mean, always road, speeds, other cars, lights, do you just wave people by when they are on your back? See, I'm just trying to get off the very back roads...............just a little scared that the police will just use that as a reason to kill some of there shift time and curiosty of the bike. Then you would have to go into a long spill all about the bike?

Anyway, that was my reason for going with just a 48cc for legal time on road.

Appreciate your time
Glen

Glen,
I grew up in Tazewell, Va. and I remember very clearly the steep hills and sharp curves. I used to wish I had a motor on my bike in the days of 50's era schwinns. How the heck we rode those things all over the mountains including the goat paths called dirt roads is beyond me. We must have been in incredibly good condition as kids. I don't recall ever having a close encounter with cars on those roads and never had an accident that wasn't my fault....usually too fast down hill on a curve that I under estimated. I went over a steep hill side once and ended up in a tree several feet off the ground. Barbed wire fences were memorized as places to slow down on curves. I still have family there but none of them ride anymore.
Larry

Back