Switchblade build or fools errand?

i suspect youll media blast the frame before painting? maybe possibly? anyways if you did youd have a better idea of how it looks when its completely naked.

If you have a die grinder, that will clean up pretty good. And a little solder and it'll look like it was molded that way.

That's too bad your friend is such a sloppy welder. I feel for ya.
I know ya can grind off most of those mountains of weld. Yea, a lot of finish grinding.
Iv'e had to grind down or off many sloppy welds in my time. That lower brace only needed to be stitch welded anyways.
I think your motor mount plate and lower brace turned out great.

More often than not sloppy welds lead to very little or no penetration, or off the seam. I have my best results when I just dot it in.

I fear I have besmirched the good name of my stunt double- he is actually a very capable and experienced mechanic and likely better than average for a non professional welder.
Wrench- thank you kind sir for the compliment- and we were going to stitch weld but changed at the last moment- can’t remember why??

I'm sure your friend is very capable.
I think he used to thick of a welding rod and ended up with a wide bead. I'm sure you'll clean it up for whats good for you.
The welding rod should be half the thickness of the metal to be welded. You can even use a thinner rod, but would have to make two passes

You could also do more passes with what you have to build the weld up evenly then grind it smooth. Or you can go super lazy and tack weld some super thin strips (to not add much more weight) over the welds to cover them lol.

i will contact a couple powder coating shops and ask about prep- and I will make the weld issue work.
next step is locating and welding jack shaft. Followed by any idler sprockets.
Question- wide crankset- what to get?
I don’t like the look of nor think I need the foot long axle- maybe a shorter one with the more bend arms?

Back