Switchblade build or fools errand?

Lewis- you have my attention. I will need to look into that. If you have a couple places to start I would appreciate it.

The Giant Stiletto is interesting and likely less money- but still not as pleasing to my eye- I like the look of your bike better.

And after reading through several switchblade builds I’m considering which motor and where to mount it- the China girls ‘look’ like a ‘real’ engine and mount practically anywhere but I like the 4 stroke smooth, reliable, long life etc... however they look like a child’s carry on luggage got stuffed into the frame- and the cylinder points the wrong direction. So either creative mounting or motor selection and stripping all shrouds and plastic crap off. As you can see- I’m going with style over substance. Oh- and more power.

Like I was saying, if you use a little extra oil in a slanted Honda horizontal clone engine I don't think it will be a big issue as long as you're not climbing really steep hills as a constant diet. The perfect solution would be to build the frame with doubled down tubes to split around the cylinder.

These engines weigh far more than the HT engines. They're about 40 to 48 pounds because a lot of them have cast iron cylinders and big crankwheels/flywheels. But you get a hella decent 12 volt charging system that can run some 35 watt halogen headlights and ancillary turnsignals, starter motor, ( I prefer the kick start versions, they're lighter..) and brakes, horn, USB converter.. The magneto run CDI systems are stout and not prone to fritz out out like HT magnetos. Their Keihin clone carbs are excellent.

These clone engines are real bargains. Well made, smooth running, economical, in some ways better than the Hondas that they were cloned from the 1970's. The little Yamaha I own gets about 100~110 mpg at a 42 mph cruise at about half throttle. Doesn't seem fast but that bike was topped out at 48~50 mph WOT with the old 80 cc snorkel case stock engine and got about 60 mpg, plus it fogged the neighborhood when run WOT.

Sellers of these Honda clone engines you mean? Um, I bought my first engine from Rosa326a on Ebay, a 100 cc 4 speed manual clutch Lifan with the full kit of carb, CDI, and manifold, shifter and kickstart lever. Actually the shifter and kicker from the old Yamaha engine was a better fit than the Lifan stock levers. Rosa326a has been cutting back on her pitbike engines, haven't seen any lately. I'd check with other sellers like Pitster Pro or Scooter Engines.com, Amazon and Walmart online are all now carrying Honda CRF50 pitbike and dirtbike 'crate and replacement engines of all types. The bargains are the little 70cc to 110cc semi-auto 4 speeds, although some of the ATC~V versions have the fully automatic two speed with reverse but they are E-start and have a lot of dumb, extra ancillary ATV crap and weird, overhanging bulges. The real pit and dirtbike engines are narrower. but generally a little more expensive than the ATV ones.

Last edited:
those Honda clones look interesting- seems they almost hang under the bike? it could be an option perhaps- and if the trans is 'semi automatic' i may sneak under the radar.
So how stupid would it be to buy the engine first? and what is this? (below) found it on another forum during a fight about looks of a 4 stroke- I want one!

My guess is a 79cc predator In a GT Moto Glide frame.
I'm not actually interested in the bike, thanks though. I know the engine is completely naked but it looks best that way (not unlike myself ;-)

I've seen a mount like that before - do you think it could be used on the switchblade seat tube? it would require removing some of the center.

I'm not actually interested in the bike, thanks though. I know the engine is completely naked but it looks best that way (not unlike myself ;-)

I've seen a mount like that before - do you think it could be used on the switchblade seat tube? it would require removing some of the center.
And humble too? I'm sure a pair of shorts won't take away that much sexy from either. Don't know on the mount, but I would contact Ghetto Bikes to see if they have the mount you need. I hear they are pricey and require a long leads time, but damn they do some nice work. Then again your in Cali. so you should be able to find a local machinist to fab up something real nice.

those Honda clones look interesting- seems they almost hang under the bike? it could be an option perhaps- and if the trans is 'semi automatic' i may sneak under the radar.

Most if not all Honda horizontal cylinder clones are complete engines with clutch and gearbox. They're long, heavy, wide because of the clutch and magneto casings and the carburetor manifold needs to stick up from the cylinder head about 3~5" clearance, if not more. I would source a long, very open frame like the OCC chopper bikes, maybe one of the long wheelbase, relaxed seat angle, SixThreeZero Beachbicycles, or something custom and (or) very similar before trying to wedge one into a cramped, beach cruiser frame. I'd definitely be on the lookout for a steel frame, aluminum would not be strong enough.

ITB-7speed_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lewie- My heart is set on the switchblade at this time, that thing has room for just about anything- though I read that it is tricky due to the fat rear tire among other things.

So... Prudence seems to say, "just use the 79cc predator" my question(s) - is it enough power to make me grin. are there others that have as much support as the 'predators' seem to have. and since I'm in California, and California would rather starve people than threaten a minnow. Our beloved HF will not sell that motor to me- what options?

PS- Thanks to all of you that have chimed in- I'm enjoying the interaction (even if I can't understand half of what Mcdonns says with his accent)

Back