switching from 2 stroke to 4, need HELP

i am almost 100% sure that is not the right chain breaker. it is for a regular bicycle chain and not the chains that come with the motorized bike #410 and #415. you need something like this :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chain-Break...ash=item3adb350f94:g:WOEAAOSwm8VUuFv0&vxp=mtr

but confirm with others here cuz i get my chain cut at ace hardware for free since im there all the time tinkering with stuff.

as for the dax thing, yeah just get this one done and then you can look at other vendors for a next build or upgrades. there are vendor review threads here to help you.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
i am almost 100% sure that is not the right chain breaker. it is for a regular bicycle chain and not the chains that come with the motorized bike #410 and #415. you need something like this :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chain-Break...ash=item3adb350f94:g:WOEAAOSwm8VUuFv0&vxp=mtr

but confirm with others here cuz i get my chain cut at ace hardware for free since im there all the time tinkering with stuff.

as for the dax thing, yeah just get this one done and then you can look at other vendors for a next build or upgrades. there are vendor review threads here to help you.
Correct, the breaker he posted is only good up to 3/16th wide chain, 410 and 415 roughly double that width.

The chain breaker you posted is far closer to what he will need, there are several variants, but that size is what he's going to need.

Good luck!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
HI again, time to resurrect this.

Got that chain off. And you all were right, the chain breaker I bought is useless. But managed to bust off the master link without it.

The main delay was waiting for Dax, who had a massive brain fart when he packed my kit and forgot the wider pedal crank it was suppose to come with. Since just about everything I read starts with that part, I got into other projects.
Well it's here, I have since landed a good strong bike stand, got proper cleaning stuff, got years of gunk off, got the old motor off, now….

Kinda need a quick reply to this next part. The gas tank. I have a manhattan flyer 6 bike. I'll upload an old picture. Or just google it.
So… that upper bar, sort of a faux gas tank. LOOKS like inside might be a regular bike tube, with one below it, that has metal sheet welded over to make the flat sides. Just guessing here. I tried calling the company and left a voice mail. (companies never answer the phone anymore.)
Anyway, mounting the gas tank has always been a night mare. The guy I bought this from has the mounting brackets sort of rigged so they screw directly onto the top of the bar in the center of each bracket. Well that flat out does not last long at all. The extra hole in those tin little brackets just weakens it more than they already are. Not designed to be screwed on like that. They immediately start to fail, the tank wobbles and eventually either the mounts poke holes into the tank or it simply falls off.

Tank 2, I tried mounting with rubber between the tank and bike to absorb some of the wobble. Lasted longer but eventually still failed.

Tank 3. I found a place that custom makes screws and such, had some LONG threaded screws made so I could clamp below the whole fat top bar like it should be. Yea well… because of the V shape of that whole top bar, I barely made it a mile down the road when the whole tank, brackets and all slid back, the brackets fell apart, one part flew off into a ditch never to be found again. Tape, which I keep in my handy tool bag (not pictured, right behind the seat.) kept my tank in place till I could get home.

Tried again only this time ran a plastic strap from the front of the tank around the post where the handle bars go to keep it from sliding back. Ungly as all get out but it held longer than the rest. However, the tank still wobbles and it's just a matter of time before it fails just like the rest.

So…. with my new motor came a brand new tank. THIS time… my thinking is, my mechanic who is right across the street has the tools to cut metal. I'm going to ask him to literally cut right through that top bar so I can slide the mounting brackets on like they should be.
BUT…. I have no way to know if the inside of this bike is in fact two tubes like any typical mens cruiser bike, or if this is just one hoaky flat piece. If it's a round tube inside, this idea should be fine. But if it's just a big flat piece, I fear A. it will weaken the bike itself and B. it would mean the bracket instead of wrapping around a round tube inside, would only be wrapping around two flat, unknown thicknesses of sheet metal.

Anyone have a clue what's inside this faux gas tank thing? OR maybe a better idea on mounting the tank?

And before you all suggest it, I do not want a behind the seat or any other type of tank. I like the motorcycle look of that teardrop tank right where it is.

I'm going to the mechanic with this tomorrow….. any input?
thanks.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 188
HI again, time to resurrect this.

Got that chain off. And you all were right, the chain breaker I bought is useless. But managed to bust off the master link without it.

The main delay was waiting for Dax, who had a massive brain fart when he packed my kit and forgot the wider pedal crank it was suppose to come with. Since just about everything I read starts with that part, I got into other projects.
Well it's here, I have since landed a good strong bike stand, got proper cleaning stuff, got years of gunk off, got the old motor off, now….

Kinda need a quick reply to this next part. The gas tank. I have a manhattan flyer 6 bike. I'll upload an old picture. Or just google it.
So… that upper bar, sort of a faux gas tank. LOOKS like inside might be a regular bike tube, with one below it, that has metal sheet welded over to make the flat sides. Just guessing here. I tried calling the company and left a voice mail. (companies never answer the phone anymore.)
Anyway, mounting the gas tank has always been a night mare. The guy I bought this from has the mounting brackets sort of rigged so they screw directly onto the top of the bar in the center of each bracket. Well that flat out does not last long at all. The extra hole in those tin little brackets just weakens it more than they already are. Not designed to be screwed on like that. They immediately start to fail, the tank wobbles and eventually either the mounts poke holes into the tank or it simply falls off.

Tank 2, I tried mounting with rubber between the tank and bike to absorb some of the wobble. Lasted longer but eventually still failed.

Tank 3. I found a place that custom makes screws and such, had some LONG threaded screws made so I could clamp below the whole fat top bar like it should be. Yea well… because of the V shape of that whole top bar, I barely made it a mile down the road when the whole tank, brackets and all slid back, the brackets fell apart, one part flew off into a ditch never to be found again. Tape, which I keep in my handy tool bag (not pictured, right behind the seat.) kept my tank in place till I could get home.

Tried again only this time ran a plastic strap from the front of the tank around the post where the handle bars go to keep it from sliding back. Ungly as all get out but it held longer than the rest. However, the tank still wobbles and it's just a matter of time before it fails just like the rest.

So…. with my new motor came a brand new tank. THIS time… my thinking is, my mechanic who is right across the street has the tools to cut metal. I'm going to ask him to literally cut right through that top bar so I can slide the mounting brackets on like they should be.
BUT…. I have no way to know if the inside of this bike is in fact two tubes like any typical mens cruiser bike, or if this is just one hoaky flat piece. If it's a round tube inside, this idea should be fine. But if it's just a big flat piece, I fear A. it will weaken the bike itself and B. it would mean the bracket instead of wrapping around a round tube inside, would only be wrapping around two flat, unknown thicknesses of sheet metal.

Anyone have a clue what's inside this faux gas tank thing? OR maybe a better idea on mounting the tank?

And before you all suggest it, I do not want a behind the seat or any other type of tank. I like the motorcycle look of that teardrop tank right where it is.

I'm going to the mechanic with this tomorrow….. any input?
thanks.
Take tank off and empty it into your gas can. Clean the underside of it with acetone or oil free gas and clean the top of the tube it sits on with the same.

Put silicone caulking on the tank or tube, press together lightly and let it cure. Fill it in the am.

Seriously? GLUE it on with calk? With all the vibration, enough to bend the tank bolts AND any brackets I've tried, plain old glue by itself?
I can see that as a cushion. Not as a way to attach.

Well I got the old tank off, and also got a call back from the bike company. There is NO bar inside at all. And I frankly haven't seen the original holes the seller drilled for a long time but just poking around inside with a wire, sure enough. It's just one real big, wide, oddly shaped tube. Thinking now if we drill slits into both sides, slide in a good solid steal bracket, not the tin things that come with the can, and bolt it to that, should be ok. I like the silicon as a shock absorber though. ALSO I think I should pick up some of that oh, liquid metal glue stuff. I actually put that on the bottom of my last can around the bolts.

Now… NEXT issue. Changing out the pedal crank. OMG is the inside of this thing filthy. I did buy a tube of all purpose grease, but it sure seems like what ever lubrication was in there is much more fluid than the grease in a tube.
WHAT exactly do you use for this?
Also…. how in blazes do I get these last two screw on parts off. I kinda need them for the new crank arm.
here. See attached. There are three notches. WHAT kind of tool is that for? I managed to pry the other end off with a screwdriver but that was while the thing was still in the bike. I had a bit of leverage. Not a clue how to remove this side.

Edited to add… youtube is my friend! I need some heavy duty bearing grease, ok, easy enough.
As for getting that part off… seems there are special tools for this. Which I don't have. Really don't want to wait for yet another part to ship. Hoping tomorrow my mechanic might have something.

Attachments

• front gear.JPG
    front gear.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
If you have the extra money try to go for a qmatic kit. They cost a little over $600 though so they are way out of my motorized bike budget. They have the best transmissions ever made for the 4 stroke engines but if you only want the transmission youll need an engine with the long shaft because they won't fit tapered shaft engines. The 4 stroke engines from China are pretty good because they are based on the Honda engines. I've had my engine sit in the garage for 2 years unused but refueled it recentily & it started up almost like it was new. I do recommend using an NT carburetor because I had nothing but problems with the carburetor that came with my 4 stroke after the first ride. Bikeberry has the NT carb to 4 stroke manifold adapter for I think $20 youll need some shorter manifold bolts though if you want an NT carb on a 4 stroke.

you must not have been reading through this. I already bought the motor from dax. (wishing now I didn't.) But that's what I have. This whole process is new to me so it's just one step at a time here.

Seriously? GLUE it on with calk? With all the vibration, enough to bend the tank bolts AND any brackets I've tried, plain old glue by itself?
I can see that as a cushion. Not as a way to attach.

Well I got the old tank off, and also got a call back from the bike company. There is NO bar inside at all. And I frankly haven't seen the original holes the seller drilled for a long time but just poking around inside with a wire, sure enough. It's just one real big, wide, oddly shaped tube. Thinking now if we drill slits into both sides, slide in a good solid steal bracket, not the tin things that come with the can, and bolt it to that, should be ok. I like the silicon as a shock absorber though. ALSO I think I should pick up some of that oh, liquid metal glue stuff. I actually put that on the bottom of my last can around the bolts.

Now… NEXT issue. Changing out the pedal crank. OMG is the inside of this thing filthy. I did buy a tube of all purpose grease, but it sure seems like what ever lubrication was in there is much more fluid than the grease in a tube.
WHAT exactly do you use for this?
Also…. how in blazes do I get these last two screw on parts off. I kinda need them for the new crank arm.
here. See attached. There are three notches. WHAT kind of tool is that for? I managed to pry the other end off with a screwdriver but that was while the thing was still in the bike. I had a bit of leverage. Not a clue how to remove this side.

Edited to add… youtube is my friend! I need some heavy duty bearing grease, ok, easy enough.
As for getting that part off… seems there are special tools for this. Which I don't have. Really don't want to wait for yet another part to ship. Hoping tomorrow my mechanic might have something.
You've never had the displeasure of removing a large area of caulk from something have you?...

Put the silicone on and come back in 24 hours and try to pry it off again. You can use extra brackets if you want.

That looks like a 1 piece crank, if it is then you might not believe this either but that isn't designed to come apart there. So don't bother. I might be wrong though so may as well try but that looks like it's part of the crank.

The excess gunk oil grease whatever was probably from the engine drooling all over the bike and that tank doing the same, just need the tiniest hole or crack and it can Drip right down in or even at the area where the bearing meets the crank, another good place for it to seep in. Won't be easy to stop it but hey it's free constant lubrication for the bearings lol...

Got my crank in. My mechanic was able to get the parts off with tools he had. he also went ahead and re greased it all for me. What a guy.

Now… while we were thinking up better ways to mount my new gas tank, he brought up something I completely didn't consider at all.
A 2 stroke doesnt' use as much gas as a 4 stroke will. My little half gal tank is JUST enough to do what I love to do all summer. Head some 15 miles to town, watch a concert once a week, (Just enough time for my arms and butt to stop vibrating) then head home. I have gas left over after that. Fun fun. BUT the 4 stroke might not make it. SO… now I need a new gas tank.

I started a new thread just for this. If you have gas tank input please go here. Specific questions and problems I spelled out in a long post. Thanks in advance.
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/from-2-to-4-stroke-gas-tank-questions-here.49845/

Back