Synthetic oil: Worth it? Oil-change frequency?

mystic-chris

Local time
2:55 AM
Very shortly, I'm going to be firing up a brand new 49cc Hua Sheng F142 4-stroke engine on a new MB build. With the small crankcase on such an engine, the extra cost of synthetic oil really isn't a factor for me. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on using synthetic oil? Do you have a specific brand/formulation that you like? Is it OK to use synthetic for the break-in period? And how often would you change your synthetic oil?

Back to the break-in period question: I've heard a variety of suggestions as far as how one should ride during new engine break-in (varied RPMs, steady RPMs, etc) and mileage needed to adequately break in the engine. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks MBers,

Chris

Synthetic is worth it! Break your motor in on Dino oil only! It will help the rings seat and then you should make the switch to synthetic. I run it in my HT 2 stroke and have almost 2000 miles on it!

Varied RPMs and speeds are the best, don't ring it out! You don't want to horse on it! Resist the temptation, it's worth it in the long run! Length of break in is up for debate.

Change the oil when it gets dirty, synthetics are proven to reduce wear vs conventional oils.

'dirty'...visual inspection is not an accurate method to determine when to replace oil. oil contains detergents and suspension agents to keep contaminates in suspension and the oil can still have plenty of life left when it is visually discolored.

For small engines without a oil filter using synthetic, an oil change every 50 hours is reasonable not to exceed one year...which ever comes first when using synthetics. However, first oil change on a new engine should be done sometime between 5-10 hours.

Because these engines are aircooled with no oil filter, I use nothing but HDEO in them. They contain more additives and have a longer life than regular oils. My favorite for year round use is mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 but any synthetic HDEO is ok as long as they are not ESP oil that contain very little ZDDP and have low TBN numbers.

Last edited:
On cars with an odometer I go 3 to 5k before changing the oil, on these mabs I cannot keep up with the hours or milage. I put clear oil in and when its starts to darken I change it. The black particles in the oil are abrasive so in my opinion its time to change it. Heck 1qt is 4 oil changes maybe 5 on my r/s 35cc.

please go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and read their forum's on a regular basis. i used to be one of those guys who wasted natural resources with 3-5k oil changes. instead of relying on color, i now use oil analysis labs in all of my vehicles and in one vehicle i change oil every 10,000 miles and on the other every 15k miles. both vehicle's oil analsyis measures insolubles in oil, wear metals, residual additives, visocity and other parameters. Before you say anything, the first vehicle's recommended oil change interval is 10,000 miles and the second vehicle's oci is 12,500 miles.

Old Bob seems like a book smart kinda guy, whats his experience in tearing down motors to see what damage is done by oil sludge and carbon buildup? Is it 1 motor, 2 maybe, or none? How many resources are you using up in each engine oil analysis? I'll rely on my half century of experience and you can trust Bob who has never tore a motor apart and only reads books. Every one has an opinion on oil and no 2 are the same.

Old Bob seems like a book smart kinda guy, whats his experience in tearing down motors to see what damage is done by oil sludge and carbon buildup? Is it 1 motor, 2 maybe, or none? How many resources are you using up in each engine oil analysis? I'll rely on my half century of experience and you can trust Bob who has never tore a motor apart and only reads books. Every one has an opinion on oil and no 2 are the same.

I've been working on the Honda mini four strokes since they came out, I've taken apart more engines than any 5 of you of guys combined.

Back