Tach electrical isolation, tips and tricks?

bigoilbob

Local time
4:32 AM
This must be a topic of general interest. Mini tachs will go wild if the wire from the tach is not properly isolated from the frame metal. Not just from direct contact, but even the proximity. Mine is particularly long (~11') because I have a recumbent tandem with a GX35 way in the back. I have tried running it inside a slim rubber tube, which is in turn in my frame. Any other ideas? I would really like a tach to monitor my Nuvinci Developers Kit app.

Thanks all;

Bob D.

A 2-wire tach is best, one lead to the plug and the other a ground to the engine.
I've found the inexpensive 1 wire tachs are unstable.

Thx Happy Valley

I'll look myself, but any specific recommendations? Just a (probably needless) reminder, my GX35 is single cylinder, 4 stroke.

Hi Bob and All -

I have some long-winded input for you. That pesky rotating magnetic field flying around the engine as the magneto turns affected me the same way as it did you and a few other writers who want to place electronic sensors on their motorized bikes. I had a SenDEC Tach that worked fine on my HT engine, but became useless on my Honda 4-stroke in-frame engine.

The answer to my problem was a six-foot length of RG-58 coax cable from Radio Shack for $8. 12-foot cables are available for less than $13.

Without getting too boring with details, I built for myself a light-pulse-sensing circuit and fed the output pulses of that into an analog designed-for-automobiles tachometer (a relatively inexpensive one). My first build had the needle swinging wildly all over the tachometer face. (The circuit and tachometer run off a 12 volt sealed lead acid battery. Both have a positive lead, a negative ground lead, and a third wire, the pulse signal wire, out of the sensor circuit going into the tachometer.)

I think the rotating magnetic field from the rotating magneto was playing havoc with creating unwanted signals going into the tach; the magnetos are not shielded. To minimize the unwanted signals on the sensor wire, I bought a six-foot length of RG-58 cable. I soldered ground wires to both ends of the braided sheath and soldered the sensor wires to the center lead. The sensor signal now cannot be affected by the rotating magnetic field. I did not bother shielding the positive power wire; I thought it was unnecessary for reasons I can explain in detail if someone is interested.

The radio frequency characteristics of the coax cable seems to have cleaned up digital pulses out of my sensor as well as keep interference off of the sensor wire. I kept unshielded sensor wire as short as I could. Six feet of coax may be unnecessarily long. When I soldered the components together and saw a huge initial improvement, I just kept it and tie-wrapped the excess cable to the bike frame.

I wonder if you used a length of coax cable center for your tach signal around the spark plug wire and grounded both ends of the braided sheath to your engine, that would be useful. You would probably have to solder a short stub of tach cable on to the other end of the coax center. If you try that, let us know what the results are. (An afterthought: grounding only at the engine may be the only one needed; try both options and let us know.)

Today, I took the bike and analog tach circuit to the road. It works almost perfectly. The needle still swings back and forth across a 200 rpm range, but considering the tach mechanics were NOT made for the severely vibrating handlebars of an engined bicycle, I can overlook that. I limit my engine speed to 4000 rpm indicated.

That mechanical tach and the sensing circuit both take a severe beating when I ride. The handlebars are anything but rock solid steady. On the way back today, almost home, the tach needle stopped working 60 miles into the ride (I rode 65 miles today). Analysis showed that a solder joint wire broke loose from the solder. Physical vibration broke the copper ground wire from the sensor circuit. I disassembled and re-soldered the ground back in place. Vibration will be the death of the sensor circuit; I expect this to happen again.

The tachometer needle now also reads 300 rpm higher than when brand-new. I used florescent lights to calibrate the tach at 3600 rpm. The needle reads 3900 rpm. I can mentally compensate for the higher reading. This tach circuit is an inexpensive answer for my "I want one" mentality. A dead-on accurate analog tachometer circuit is out of my financial realm. If I needed one, somebody else would have to pay for it.

Attached should be some photos of the sensor and the tach mounting. As the crankshaft turns, pulses are read by the photocell (LED and photocell and all other parts are also from Radio Shack.) It was a bit tricky getting circuit resistance values just right. Physically mounting the circuit took me a few days to work that out. The circuit container is a camera film canister. (When was the last time you saw one of those?) A slot in the lid keeps out some unwanted light; too much solid-intensity light affects the circuit output. The tachometer mount is a piece of wall paneling that I covered with electrical tape. This was quick and easy. An expensive mount would not have been any better.

The first photo shows the circuit canister mounted next to the MaxTorque clutch.

Te second photo show the broken ground wire I had to repair.

The third photo shows the circuit I had to assemble on the very small circuit board.

The fourth photo shows the size of the circuit next to a common house key.

The last photo shows the analog tachometer mounted in place. Also seen are the solid-state speedometer computer, two headlights and the marine horn.

Attachments

• 2012-07-28 010.jpg
    2012-07-28 010.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 663
  • 2012-07-28 009.jpg
    2012-07-28 009.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 2012-07-28 001.jpg
    2012-07-28 001.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 660
  • 2012-07-28 006.jpg
    2012-07-28 006.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 670
  • 2012-07-28 011.jpg
    2012-07-28 011.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Hi Bob -

I removed my optical tach from my bike. It was a cheap experiment that I always wanted to try. It did not live up to my expectations. The entire circuit is still in one piece in a box on a shelf. It still works; I will use it for something else in the future.

I read the literature on your PET-2000DXR and the SecDEC tachs again. I read someplace to not wrap the wire around the frame too much. So I dug up my old SenDEC tach and loosely draped it on the frame from handlebar to spark plug wire and wrapped the pickup wire around the spark plug wire four times. Then I took my bike out for another 25 miles. Running my engine on both tachs, they both tracked rpm changes and values in sync. In the past, the SenDEC wire was tightly wrapped around the frame. It did not work. Today, it was almost sloppily thrown on and the tach seemed to work just fine; there was no bouncing from high reading to low reading to high reading and so on. Live and learn.....

Though any tach is optional eye candy to me, I will keep the SenDEC in front of me as long as it looks like it is working. Thanks for pointing out your sources.

MikeJ

Last edited:
Thanks to all, appreciate the time and effort. I think I'll try the Sendek. I caught some work in Saudi (in Ramedan no less!) but I'll be home in less than 2 weeks and will change out then. I had one on my paramotor, but it seems to have timed out. Not tach smart - do they just put a "life of the tach" lithium battery in them, and you throw it all the way when it gives up?

Also, I would recommend, if you are using coax cable for the Tach signal, that you do NOT ground both ends of the coax cable shield. If you do, you introduce a ground loop into your wiring, which can introduce a completely different source of signal noise.

Possibly, just routing the sensor cable away from the flywheel at 90 degrees (as far as possible) before routing it towards the tach electronics would help.

Thanks to all, appreciate the time and effort. I think I'll try the Sendek. I caught some work in Saudi (in Ramedan no less!) but I'll be home in less than 2 weeks and will change out then. I had one on my paramotor, but it seems to have timed out. Not tach smart - do they just put a "life of the tach" lithium battery in them, and you throw it all the way when it gives up?

Unfortunatly thats the case. but if it was me I would take it apart and see if I could find battery for it.Its already not working you aren't going to hurt it.

Back