tag along pusher

mrhook

Local time
7:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried a friction drive on a tag along kids pedal trailer and how well it works. Im worried about enough weight on the trailer tire to get enough traction. im using a station/ mits kit.

Traction shouldn't be a problem. I used a chain drive on a BOB trailer and it did fine until I was on a gravel surface at 8% or more. That's more than I could pedal. This was with only the weight of the engine in the trailer. Loaded it wouldn't quit until the engine died. The only thing I would wonder is what it would do if you only had one wheel driving on a Burley type trailer. I will say that the tire did wear more than the bike drive tire though.

I've been toying with this oddball pusher trailer notion I've had for awhile. I do not like the idea of a pusher trailer, as generally implemented, but I've been thinking about a 2 wheel trailer with a narrow wheelbase. What I envision is this - a pair of 26" wheels on a common axle, separated by about 10" of open space. Mount a sprocket on that axle, and the engine to drive it all between the wheels, then build a rack that encloses both wheels from the axle height up on the outboard sides. Pannier bags/baskets, a quiet, well muffled 4 stroke engine, and you'd have a heck of a stealthed power plant.

Having posted this, now I HAVE to go sketch it up.

Back