Tall Tall GEBE with super fine details, Seattle

L

Lawrence

Sorry I have not posted in a long time folks. But rest assured, there is guy in Central Seattle getting out the good word about motored bicycles. That guy is me... Lawrence

This last bike I've built is the best GEBE conversion of all time! I can't stop bragging about how good this bike turned out. You can see a ton of images on Flicker.com. Look for photo stream under "LawrenceShort"

Don't be confused by the red engine. It is truly a 35cc Robin four-stroke merely painted red. Most everyone knows the 35cc 4-stroke as having a yellow engine cover.

You'll see I went to great lengths to get the bike details just as I wanted. Primarily I very much wanted to have a frame-mount for my motor bracket. The standard axle mounting works fine, but I wanted improvement. Pursuing that idea, you'll see I started with great focus on my custom rear dropouts.

Stepping back from all the little details, you might see how good this entire huge bike came together. I'm a quite tall person. I stalked Craigslist for a long time to find an extra extra tall mountain bike. This black 1984 Trek turned up for $80. It was a minor crime to tear apart what was a such a great $80 bike find. However, I striped the bike to the frame and used it as a base for a motored bike I'll be riding for years to come.

It will be hard to keep my story short, but I will try. I caught motored bike fever after seeing the GEBE drive system my first time. I gave other drive systems no consideration. It had to be the Golden Eagle toothed belt and drive ring for me. First I found a 1964 Schwinn middleweight to install the kit on. I bought all the best stuff from GEBE ( more than $700 worth ). This included their heavy-duty coaster brake wheel with drive ring already installed. Everything turned out great. I met many good folks at the PNW rally last August riding this Schwinn. However, the Schwinn frame was far too small for me.

That same GEBE kit made its way on to this proper sized bike you see here. I assembled every small component knowing I was building a bike meant to hold together for a very long time.

I'll share a bit of bike builder's wisdom. I've discovered this on my own. Coaster Brake rear wheels are a fantastic option! Anyone who may be building their own GEBE, from the frame up, should consider the idea of getting a coaster brake. This wheel type solves many many problems. Get rid of those stupid gears! You have a motor on your bike now!

With a coaster brake, two things that need major consideration are: chain adjustment, and the fact that coaster brakes hubs are 110 mm wide, not 135 mm as most mountain bikes. See my images and put the good stuff together in your own mind.

Some features on my bike:
- RTS Capa suspenson fork
- Red paint over yellow engine cowl
- Chrome Wald Middleweight fenders
-1984 Trek 850 brazed lug oversized frame USA
-Twist grip throttle with kill switch
-Schwabe Marathon Plus tires
-Engine mount on frame
-Traditional centerstand
-Mavic Crossride front wheel w/ custom axle.
-Avid jucey hydrolic disc brake
-Two piece rear fender for easy wheel removal
-Kool-Stop chain disc/guard

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Copy of IMG_0245.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0245.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you used regular spray paint, and not that specialized auto touch up type they sell at Parts Plus.

Now I have something else to do on Rucio before I leave, cuz I have regular paint.

To each his own on the single speed, but gears allow you to "pedal backwards", to break the boredom on day long rides, and to freak out the cars with an optical illusion racing through intersections.

Craigslist is a great way to start, I wish I had the money to buy all the prospects I've seen.

Q: Pic #6 What is that curved attachment under the saddle?

Last edited:
way cool lawrence! hope to see ya at this years rally too!! the gebe robin is the bees knees!

Lawrence done flung a cravin' on me....for a blue engine cover.

Lawrence didn't tell me that third screw in the cover was such a pain in the *** to get back in the hole.

Attachments

• blueengine 003.jpg
    blueengine 003.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 348
heya lawrence...

your schwinn was a solid 1st-build, but this bad baby shows us who you really are...you are correct, sir: "super-fine" describes it to a tee. so, when ya gonna come back this way and see us again?

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=18084

bama! from that pic i'm betting you missed counting several of your zip-ties...a lot of structure for not much money or weight, eh?

"fusion" paint might be a good way to go for tanks and engine covers.

Last edited:
Hey Lawrence!!! Good to see ya' again. That is a Beautiful build my friend; a great lookin', solid bike with proper proportion, and flow!!! I don't doubt the two of you will have many, many adventures over the years to come. We're havin' a little rally down in O.P. this weekend if you wanna show her off...

Thank you for all the kind words men.

There was a question about an attachment under the saddle. In image 4, there is a large black zip-tie that serves as a safety strap. Be that what you inquire?

Early before even building me first bike, I read about GEBEs best having safety wires/straps in this fashion. Remind me... did I read somewhere that someone’s rack once broke loose? Does the legend go like this "that torque smashed the engine carburetor into the pavement "? Is that what I read somewhere, or did I dream up that story myself? I'm not beyond making up whoppers like that: grin5:

I'll share a bit about what it’s like motoredbiking in Central Seattle. For my daily ride to work, I have a nicest four mile bike ride to the University of Washington. I have to cross several arterial streets, but nowhere do I have to ride down those busy arterial streets. I ride residential side streets all the way. For being merely a ride in city, it's rather nice. I go though both rich and not-so-rich neighborhoods, I skirt around the city arboretum, I go under an old stone bridge. I ride a one mile portion of the Lake Washigton Bicycle loop, this mile I cross paths with many zoomy spandex type bicyclist. I can pass them when I'm pedaling in combat boots. On my commute, I even cross over an old drawbridge, Montlake. I find the side streets are most pleasant about 12 -18 mph. During the day, the only problem on my side street route is all the stopping I end up doing. People want to see the bike up close. People love it. Lots of different questions; cost? how fast? mpg? Several times, Europeans folks have told me of their front-wheel-mount-engine motoredbikes... back in the old coutry. These guys get really animated about their bikes... like us too I seems.

This ride to work, I drop 280 feet in elevation. Going home I go back up all that elevation, and more, due to valleys. I often get off work very late, often wet and cold. It's the lone sound of 35cc hauling up these hills... that's me cruising home in the 'hood'.

I have the GEBE geared low (11 tooth) for pulling hills and standing starts. I read in the forum about the many of you in quest of great motored bike top-speed. I too love speed; however, it just aint the thing to do where I ride most. I've found a bit of Zen in riding slow.

In the future, I’d like to build a happy-time 2-stroke kit with the SickBikeParts freewheel chainring thing. That invention is very clever. I dream of riding open roads and high speeds. I have not rode flat-out since last August, at the rally, maybe flat-out for block or two in all that time. My bike only does 26 mph on flat.

Unclepunk, thanks for the weekend invite. What a great idea. Still, it's just a remote chance I could get out of work Sunday. Not sure yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unclepunk, thanks for the weekend invite. What a great idea. Still, it's just a remote chance I could get out of work Sunday. Not sure yet.

Well I'm leaving in the A.M. on Sunday; Saturday is really the main day...
Send me a PM, I'll give ya' my digits in case you decide to come, so you can find us at the new P.N.W. M/B clubhouse...:cool:

Back