Tanaka 3300 Exhaust Pipe Extension - don't bother.

H

Hive

Not worth the time. Sound level change is not significant. Fan and intake noise remain and it really is not too bad, just a tad close to my ear. Live and learn.

now class...NO NEED TO SHOUT in the subject lines...thenk yew 8)

really nice post & neat work, tho :)

I LIKE IT !! Has more personality than the JetPro muffler.

What color do you reckon the heated copper would have attained? Darker Brownish is my guess.

Any noticable horsepower decrease?

The JetPro has a brace that attaches with one of the cover bolt holes, as you've seen.

Seems like such a brace could be added, and the pipe extended a little longer, so maybe a different angle (more downward) could be attained.

The only drawback to mufflers is if the bike falls in that direction, I had to make sure the bike was parked securely after I crunched one.

Good points

I had not thought of the interventions you describe, so will have to look at them.

I could have just used the elbow to redirect the noise and not added the expansion chamber, small as it is.

I figured no change in power, but will see. Am guessing the large stock muffler does what it is supposed to do, regardless of the change, as the new pipe has greater diameter, but I am no expert.

I do know that if you install one of the very spendy power pipes, they apparently require a removal of the stock muffler and bolt right to the manifold, so I figured no HP change as the stock muffler remains. Might be better?

Copper will likely just dull to bluish metal and finally go green, but not sure.

If I add brace or change, will post.

Test Ride

Went fine.

Riding a motored recumbent is way fun and comfy.

The noise level is lower, particularly at speed, but still there. Likely could have achieved same change with just elbow and shorter pipe without end.

Will make a couple different styles and report.

Lars,

Hive beat the "mounting" problem, so this MB.com test was only a 50% washout.

But insulation is "dead air", and why couldn't a second slightly larger sleeve of copper, (with two dollops of solder in the gap between the tubes, to prevent rattling), be added to Hive's idea?

If soldering $10 of copper, slipped over the exhaust before permattachment, doesn't knock sound down 35%, I'll owe you a gallon of gas...

Okay, maybe 25%, gas is going higher than copper.

Back