Tanaka 40cc break in

M

Moondog175

I have 150 miles on my tanaka 40cc, can I run it wide open all the time now?
For how many miles should I vary the throttle before I can just run it wide open for long periods of time?
Thanks for any of your wisdom. Matt in Ohio

md,

It's a coming, any moment.

If you are using GOOD oil in your mix, and you've been varying those speeds like is recommended, you could concientiously start stretching maybe 3 speeds in the higher range, 30-40 seconds at 3/4, a minute at full blast, down to 5/8 (you know the sounds I'm talking about).

And pretty soon you are going to feel a "kick", especially if you are between 1/2 ahd 3/4 speed when it happens.

Its like a hiccup of power.

Then you are there. 50 miles maximum before the hiccup happens. 200 good break in miles and you are fine.

Go for it! But, I think it is better not to just jump on it, to ease clutch wear. Gradually take it up, you will get the hang of it soon enough.

Like already mentioned, those Tanaka machines do it hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a clue- on the Tanaka 33, which probably has more miles than yours, cold start is 3 pumps of the priming bubble, one-HALF pull on the string.

7 times out of 10 it starts on the same half pull.

Also, sitting outside a diner for a half hour, re-cranking in one or two pulls NO CHOKE. It holds fuel and cylinder heat very well before needing re-priming.

The 33 and 40 are of equal quality, (except the 33 is quieter, quieter even than the RedMax 25, at a "more pleasant octave").

I'll third the motion and say "get er on up there" !

150 that is enough. Just keep it kind of slow once in awile to play it safe. Use break in excuse to not kill yourself.

how to "break-in" a tanaka...

1) take it out of the box
2) put it on your bike
3) carefully measure 50:1 pre-mix
4) run the schtuffin' out of it!

depending on GVW & riding style, it'll be 800-1200 miles before the rings seat.

Last edited:
well designed engines like the industrial/weed whacker type break in fast. Anything from honda, mitsu, tanaka, or subaru should be ready to go almost out of the box. 50 or so miles should do it no worries. You gotta think... the business that could theoretically have to rely on these motors to generate revenue need them to work quickly and reliably right away. A gardener or somebody like that isn't going to wait a week or two before he really starts to use one of these things.

these things are stout... I rode my eho35 the first two times with no oil because I got excited and forgot... I haven't had a problem yet in 6 months.

Last edited:
yea Crank it up !!!!

my rule was to run 1 gallon of gas with Tanaka Oil for break in
Then I switched to Lucus semi synth 50:1
And WOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also my Tanaka got a lot smoother and a little quieter at 500 miles
You Got the 40 cc WOW enjoy !!!!

Back