Tanaka PF3300 makes awful grinding noises...

MGDB

Local time
6:42 PM
I got a new Tanaka PF3300 engine off ebay to mount on a staton friction drive I bought. I got it today. Being the eager person I am, I put in some 50:1 mix, primed it, attatched the throttle cable and fired it up. Keep in mind the cluthc cover thingie wasn't attatched.
It started up, making this awful grinding noise. I shut it off immediately. What did I do wrong. Do I need to connect it to the clutch bell on the friction drive? Or did I get a bad engine? It wasn't like a normal sound either as I have a Tanaka string trimmer witha 2 stroke. It had a vibrating grinding noise. Did I wreck something? Maybe the throttle engaged as that was a bit tight. Please help!!!!

How old is the gas mixture? if fresh, maybe need to send it back to the seller.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Its fresh, and its from a mix so its mixed right, I used it in my string trimmer alot.

Ok guys, so I figured out what the grinding was. The clutch housing was off, and the clutch started to engage I guess and scraped the clutch rotor on the inside of its "wall". I could see some marks on the rotors of obvious wear. Should I have my clutch housing on? Or what? I guess the engine mus have tried to enage the clutch, maybe my throttle cable was too tight?

Back