Tanaka powered Rudge

Here are pictures of my 1955 Rudge, powered by a 23cc tanaka 2stroke engine. The power is directed via a friction drive roller which rubs on the front tire. This assist motor was marketed under a few different names. The human power is routed through a three speed hub with a triple drive sprocket thus offering nine different gear combinations. The front hub has a integral 6volt low speed alternator, for lighting purposes, known by the trade name of Dynohub. The rider is supported by a leather Brooks saddle.

Attachments

• IMG_0184bigrig.jpg
    IMG_0184bigrig.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0176front_drive.jpg
    IMG_0176front_drive.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0174submuffler.jpg
    IMG_0174submuffler.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0188tankside.jpg
    IMG_0188tankside.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0186headbadge.jpg
    IMG_0186headbadge.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0173chainwheel.jpg
    IMG_0173chainwheel.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0181saddle.jpg
    IMG_0181saddle.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 348
Last edited by a moderator:
modifications

This engine wasn't running when I purchased it. The fuel pump was disassembled. Special thanks to forum member Unclepunk for sending me a copy of the service manual for this unit. I repaired the fuel pump, replaced the fuel lines, fabricated an extention for the submuffler, modified the engine mount design and removed a few parts I considered non-essentials. I will soon need a new drive roller. Some people have used a modified urethane rubber skateboard wheel for this purpose.

The logo hand on the chainwheel...Sweet. Nice patina on the whole rig.

I read Rudge and thought "Don't trudge it, Rudge it." Then thoughts of The TT and 4 valve bronze heads entered my mind. *sigh* T'is a very nice vintage powered bicycle however. I have seen several BSA bicycles in the past.

Back