Tennessee Law


Local time
10:18 AM
May 14, 2008
Alamo, TN
The following was taken from the Tennessee Department of Safety web site with the governors seal on it. For those of you from TN (like me) who have been wondering about the law... here it is for a mb.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE: (under 50 cc) The motorized bicycle does not have to be registered, nor does a certificate of title need to be obtained. An owner may register the vehicle under regulations issued by the Commissioner of Safety.

No endorsement is required on a driver license in order to operate a motorized bicycle; thus, the motorized bicycle may be operated by anyone with a valid driver license. Goggles, windshields and other special equipment required for motorcycles and motordriven cycles are not required for operation of a motorized bicycle. However, crash helmets are required regardless of the operator's age.

Minors between the ages of 14 and 16 may apply for a restricted license to operate a motorized bicycle, just as they would to operate a motor-driven cycle. For instance, they must take a written test, vision tests and demonstrate the ability to operate the motorized bicycle. The license issued will be restricted to a motorized bicycle only. The license is valid only during daylight hours and within a seven-mile radius of the driver's home.

Applicants less than eighteen (18) years old must complete a Minor/Teenage Affidavit and Cancellation form making the parent or legal guardian financially liable for the applicant's action.
Last edited by a moderator:
That's good to know. I wasn't actually going to check on registering mine, but I was wondering about the laws here in TN.:D