Tension Roller Tweaks

S

Steve

Got an idea that I want to run by y'all...seems like the tention roller has a lot of friction and drag. So, my idea is, take a link out of the engine chain so you have to adjust the wheel position to make it right, and then put the tention roller on the bottom of the crank chain. The drag then would be when you are peddling, and not when the engine is running. Wadaya think? :???:

that's exactly what Ethan and I did on the one we built. it works just fine!

That's something I never thought of....good idea. :cool: It would keep the tensioner on the chain that isn't spinning and that could keep it from rotating and being pulled into the spokes.

why dont u just take it off completely and put a different sized sproket on the peddeling side of the wheel to change the tension of the peddeling chain to match the drive chain.

bird said:
why dont u just take it off completely and put a different sized sproket on the peddeling side of the wheel to change the tension of the peddeling chain to match the drive chain.

Bird, personally, I think that would be a "hit or miss" type of thing, involve a lot of work, and has the potential to never come out right, i.e. is two additional teeth too much, or too little?

sometimes you need the tensioner on the engine side so the chain clears the frame. sometimes ya don't. if you can get by without it on the engine side , & need it on the pedal side, cool.... makes perfect sense!

I am curious how many sprocket teeth are on the front motor drive sprocket of the chinese 48.s and 80,s are they the same?

wheels

tirebiter said:
Both my 80cc and 48cc have the same....10 teeth.

are the clutches & gear ratio on the other side the same on 80's & 48"s ???? I only have 48's & 55's. I heard 80's have a bigger clutch.
?????????????
dave

Back