Tension Roller Tweaks

moto mags, when a jet mechanic tells you to do something. he is right. his thinking is not only in tune with keeping things tight, but maximizing chain contact with the drive sprocket :) albeit, it does put alot more drag on the roller.
-dave

since my above ost i have been thinking more and more about trashing the tentioner, permanently.
there is a way to shim the rear motor mount on a HT style engine using sheet metal cut to the shape of a "T" shirt. the sleeves, in this case sit on the top of the bolts. when my wheel comes back ill be doing this even if it takes me a few days to get it all set up properly. i will never use one again i dont figure.

on the other hand, i may flip the dish on the sproket (it was facing inward that could be part of my problem) and was not allowing the chain tentioner to sit straight up and down..... i dont know. its garbage, best to get rid of it lik the others i guess.
-dave

The tensioner on my bike was converted using the original bracket, but replacing the teflon wheel with a Roller blade wheel. I machined a center cut for the chain to ride in. Works excellent with little wear to the Polyurethane wheel.

This is what I made. the gears are off of a derailleur. Had it for 50+ miles no problems. How are those ghost sprockets, they OK going over bumps fast? i would like to try but am afraid they might fall out at speed with the help of a pothole. I used to have no tensioner after the original one twisted on me and ate my rim. With no tensioner I was looking down and the chain was flopping side to side pretty good so I built this one.

Attachments

• Chain tensioner and guide.JPG
    Chain tensioner and guide.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 482
the bottom sproket does tension and the top one guides it in. works great. had it a month now and no problems or signs of wear. I got the metal bar to fit the bike by curling the ends around a socket wrench head in a vice.

That's a really good idea with the dual mounting positions and the top guide pulley. The dual clamps would be so much more secure than the stock idler. It might actually cut down on vibration too.

I think I'll try that out :D

this is how I did mine
no chain slap any more :cool:

Attachments

• mini-tensioner.jpg
    mini-tensioner.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 9,709
Last edited:
Yeah never had a problem with the dual mounting kept the chain from slappin the tire. AZbill thats a heck of a contraption you have there but looks like it works great.

Back