Tension warning

Roy, I don't even want to think about the money I have in this bike...I've made one mistake after another in buying the wrong wheel, things I wanted to work but didn't because I didn't know or couldn't comprehend... eventually, I got serious and got the right parts, installed the right way, and operated the system as it was meant to be operated... mine is running as near to perfect as possible now. I've been through three wheel setups before settling on 12g steel which was ten times cheaper than the rhynolite which I couldn't keep spokes in or the velocity rim. I thought I could get away with 14g, I'm barely 200#, but I settled in to following every tip Bama ever posted and followed through to the perfect setup I now enjoy. You can really get discouraged when you continue to trash expensive wheelsets and your money is blowing in the wind; been there done that! As far as the slipping belt is concerned, when you change wheels you change the centering of the drive ring to the drive gear so you have to get that straight to keep you belt from premature wear. Search and study, it's here man... you'll get it and when you get it right you'll say, "what the hay!", all that angst for naught...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well..he he...Jim, I know that these sort of things require extensive experimentation, and "tinkering" to get straightened out. Back in the day, my dad, and I, used to race go-carts...lol. I've had my share of "disapointments"..lol. There is no amount of money that can replace the satisfaction of finally getting it "right". I know I'd better shed some of this excess baggage as well, because that definitely doesn't help ;-).

Well, here we are into the middle of May and once again, my belt bit the big one today...I noticed after installing a high performance carb and expansion chamber, which incidentally increased the overall performance by this much, (see the wide span of my arms). By securing the pipe to the motor brace, I didn't see immediately that the gear was out of alignment with the belt. On a ride today I heard that old clicking noise return so headed for home to check things out and sure enough, the belt was out of alignment...belt inspection showed the teeth seperated from the belt backing and much fraying as well as noticeable belt dust. Ordered two new belts from Dennis at GEBE...I swear to keep the belt and gear properly aligned this time.

Yep...that belt tracking needs checked often...in my case anyhow. If I stand in front of my bike, straddling the front wheel, holding the bike fast, I throttle up the engine and observe how much "twist" or movement the engine shows. After just receiving the new lower mount strap a couple days ago, the improvment in stability was fairly noticable, and using the above test, I see almost no engine movment. That kind of shoots my theory of the engine torque throwing off the tracking in the tail. It may a little, but not much...that's for sure. Again, in order to be able to "adjust" the tracking, I had to rat tail the bolt holes out where the engine mounting bracket bolts go through just a smidge to allow adjustment. I'm surprised that the adjustment is necessary so often, because the engine is really solid when I'm done torqing the mounting nuts after adjustment.

Yeah Roy, thing is the bike was running so well I threw caution to the wind and hammered the throttle a few times, just ecstatic with the new quickness and then it started to feel not so quick. Totally forgot to treat her nice and so you get what ya give. You have to have a light touch until you get up to proper speed. Also remembered the pain in the wallet from last belt purchase...only got 300 miles on this belt but accept responsibility for it's short, fast life.

GEBE belt click

Have had my Tanaka 40 kit roughly a week have only 20 miles on it and today went for a 5 mile ride noticed that clicking and stopped to investigate no belt dust or fraying infact the teeth are showing wear right on the center where it should be so a few questions
1)if using extra spring pressure on the tensioner how much and what kind of springs are you using
2)I have noticed a definate torque moment through the bike when applying throttle at a point just where the engine starts to pull is this causing the drive wheel to go slightly out of alignment when rotating, the engine does not move when revved while stationary,
Roy

Yeah Softride, I'm just using the spring that came on the kit. I think I'm going to get another just like it....I've heard you can get those springs at the hardware store. I think it would be a good idea to carry an extra spring just in case the first one breaks.

Hey Jim H...I guess we just gonna have to start doing more peddling...lol...it's about the best thing that has happened to me in a long time for exercise! If ya check my string about premature belt wear, that might help, but I think my belt will last maybe 600 miles on a good day. Guess I'm gonna have to loose 100 lbs of this baby fat! :)

GEBE belt click

The other thing I am thinking is that the Tanaka 40 seems like a fairly powerfull unit and it could just be that any gradient or extra mass could cause it to overpower the belt seems like when i peddle the bike fast to 18mph then throttle it then theres no clicking also i think the tooth depth on the drive ring is a little shallow most toothed belts are a much closer fit I am going to the hardware store and will find out what spring rate the stock spring is for the tensioner
Royz

Partial "Eureka"

Ok this morning I trundled to the hardware store and searched through the spring boxes and found just what I was looking for a same diameter (1) coil less spring for the tensioner cost was $1.35 I got home replaced the original and took the bike out around the block yesterday around an uphill corner the belt was clicking /jumping today not a sound went round again at slower speed and applied more throttle again no clicks or sounds ,the reason I am saying partial eureka is that the release position does not feel as positive I suspect because there is a 5% increase in spring rate anyway if it works long term I dont think thats a problem I am unsure of the part # for this spring as they were all mixed up but the maker/distributor is SERVE-A-LITE http://www.servalite.com/
i will try and find the actual part # next time i go there hoping this may help looks like my car /hotrodding skills may be of some use in this Hobby .:D:D:D:D
Royz

Back