tensioner delete?

The main source of woes on my bike has been the chain tensioner. Could I just remove links in the chain until it is at a proper tension and do away with it? Then just pop the master link for wheel removal? Anyone tried this?

Thanks guys!
Yes, on occasion you can get away with no tensioner, done it many times, but I see you already bought some big ugly one and strapped it on. The thing is you didn't need to.

I'll bet you put the tensioner on with the wheel attached the way it came.
That is the wrong side to keep it straight over 1/2 the time.

Secondly, if you need a spring in your tensioner it's because the chain gets loose/tight/loose your rear sprocket is not true!

True up your sprocket to actually fix the problem opposed to just masking the symptoms is my advice.

Yes, on occasion you can get away with no tensioner, done it many times, but I see you already bought some big ugly one and strapped it on. The thing is you didn't need to.

Secondly, if you need a spring in your tensioner it's because the chain gets loose/tight/loose your rear sprocket is not true!

True up your sprocket to actually fix the problem opposed to just masking the symptoms is my advice.
Did you know that little rim on the edge of the gear wheel is suppose to be facing in not out for proper alignment some mechanic guy pointed that out to me.

I happen to like how those look for whatever odd reason. Almost like a cb antenna flaring off a Jeep or other off road. Big an ugly just doesn't look that ugly or big to me...

I'll also mention that I remember specifically on my first set up I turned the stock tensioner's wheel around rather... Naturally? Lol.. It was facing the wrong direction for my bike but it seemed just normal to adjust as necessary without being instructed to.

I wouldn't have just assumed that his problem was because he had the wheel on backwards, any of'redneck could've figured it out if they had any mechanical skill. I would assume that his bike used very round and kinda smallish dropout arms, and that his tensioner could possibly be slightly too slippery or a hair too large to actually be effective on that diameter tube, not toentiomg his tube might be angular and it happened to be offset inwards on its Z axis on the top half meaning even a small enough tensioner was oval enough it simply would never mount correctly, as in the case of my tensioner on the second bike frame I used...

The arch tensioner simply evades the entire guesswork and actual design flaws of a standard tensioner when correctly assembled. Don't assume all the bikes you used are identical in the dropouts to every other bike on the planet that could be fixed with a motor... Adding a spring is more like a convenience rather than a handicap license plate, any monkey with a wrench would be careful enough to center the sprocket on the wheel, at least I was. It's more like a roadside repair or even general tire changing for season or road types is made far easier by simply slight force being applied in the right place to easily unlock the wheel from the chain. One of my handguns has this simple spring loaded mechanism to make taking the barrel and slide out a very easy task, unlike my Taurus which requires me to hold back the slide while twisting an odd shaped pin and pulling said pin out, which is actually harder than expected with bare fingers, just to do the same thing, removing the barrel and slide...

Maybe he didn't need to buy that arch tensioner. But he did buy it and it worked! Not only that he was frustrated enough with the tensioner that he created a thread asking if he could simply get away with tossing it in the garbage (no doubt we all had the same feeling at least once...) and so I assumed he exhausted his mechanical abilities to solve the problem because the the problem wasn't him but simply the tensioner.

Springs are cool and I dig the arch tensioner look, and give credit to its design to solve multiple problems that might otherwise be impossible or impractical with the stock tensioner.

All credit given and great your running!
I am just pointing out that done properly the stock tensioner works well and with over 100 builds on dozens of different frames, I have never needed to resort to an add-on tensioner or had one fail into the spokes is all.

I am just pointing out that done properly the stock tensioner works well and with over 100 builds on dozens of different frames, I have never needed to resort to an add-on tensioner or had one fail into the spokes is all.

I am just pointing out that done properly the stock tensioner works well and with over 100 builds on dozens of different frames, I
have never needed to resort to an add-on tensioner or had one fail into the spokes is all.
Oh ya, you point out that your a vendor mine works ok for a couple of days then got to re-rig it - you kiss all your bikes off you never see them again or what headaches the new owner has bought from you in the following days!

Oh ya, you point out that your a vendor.
mine works ok for a couple of days then got to re-rig it -

you kiss all your bikes off you never see them again or what headaches the new owner has bought from you in the following days!
That is a rather arrogant, insulting an uninformed comment...
Really!

Almost everything I build is sold locally and my engine sticker has my phone number on it case it has a problem.

The reason I can do that is because I don't build s**t bikes!
I have no pre-built showroom or the like.
I build custom order cool bikes with the best parts and assemble them with skill so I don't have to deal with repairs, and the stock bearing tensioner works great for me, but then again I have a little experience with what works and what don't, and then we test ride the s**t out of them before I call them Done ;-}

As for your stock tensioner you installed it yourself inspectorcrit?
Well, there ya have it, you needed a crutch fix to make it go, I don't, ever, so you best think a little before you talk out out ass about me again as don't take kindly to slander bud, really.

Last edited:
So you don't kiss your bikes is that what you're saying?

Oh I see you put them between your legs and ride the s**t out of them. How hot, please give more detail.

I'll admit those bikes really are good looking, I'd have a hard time not copping a feel either...

That is a rather arrogant, insulting an uninformed comment...
Really!

Almost everything I build is sold locally and my engine sticker has my phone number on it case it has a problem.

The reason I can do that is because I don't build sh*t bikes!
I have no pre-built showroom or the like.
I build custom order cool bikes with the best parts and assemble them with skill so I don't have to deal with repairs, and the stock bearing tensioner works great for me, but then again I have a little experience with what works and what don't, and then we test ride the sh*t out of them before I call them Done ;-}

As for your stock tensioner you installed it yourself inspectorcrit?
Well, there ya have it, you needed a crutch fix to make it go, I don't, ever, so you best think a little before you talk out out ass about me again as don't take kindly to slander bud, really.
Well golly I'm sorry I did not mean to insult you I'm just use to shanghai dealer wonder this next plan oof scam, the sticker sounds like a good idea.

Well golly I'm sorry I did not mean to insult you I'm just use to shanghai dealer wonder this next plan oof scam, the sticker sounds like a good idea.
Apology accepted, thanks ;-}

The bottom line is your bike goes now and that's all that really matters bud.
My posts were to help everyone regarding the stock tensioner working fine so you don't have to spend more money on something else.

Back