Engine Trouble Tensioner going out...

Local time
8:43 AM
Hey Phil here, due for a new tensioner old one lost the steel backing and is free rolling on open case bearing any recommendations for the rubber type upgraded tensioner or shall I stay with the plastic type?

Hey Phil here, due for a new tensioner old one lost the steel backing and is free rolling on open case bearing any recommendations for the rubber type upgraded tensioner or shall I stay with the plastic type?

the tensioners that come with the kits suck. I had a hard time with the bolt that has a regular screwdriver head, I couldn't get it tight enough so it wouldn't keep loosening. so I bought a hex head bolt to replace it. it's much better nice and tight now. I ordered this one the one in the pic I think it'll be much better as it's a spring loaded one that attaches to the motor. figure for $20.00 shipped it can't be any worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180116-204338.png
    Screenshot_20180116-204338.png
    695.2 KB · Views: 169
the tensioners that come with the kits suck. I had a hard time with the bolt that has a regular screwdriver head, I couldn't get it tight enough so it wouldn't keep loosening. so I bought a hex head bolt to replace it. it's much better nice and tight now. I ordered this one the one in the pic I think it'll be much better as it's a spring loaded one that attaches to the motor. figure for $20.00 shipped it can't be any worse.

it looks nice however id like to keep away from my crank case area, this seems like the same idea,

http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/011.11123927_std.JPG

thinking of modifying my orginal tensioner bracket with a piece of steel mounted to the original tensioner and a spring as well but a rubber roller to decrease noise made .

that does look cool seems easy to make to. only thing is it's basically the same as original tensioner with no spring

I noticed the basic Joe tensioner is more poorly put together then the kit it's self there is no grease in these bearing and if it is it is probably poor piss grease.

Which is why it failed sealed shell bearings would have a better roll then the plastic cased ones which only have little paper thin diskets to keep the the bearings in place.

After analyzing them I think their made of cheap lead bearings found in bullet shot gun shells..

One could simply buy a sealed shell roller bearing and weld a tang on it and use a stop lock nut to add In a spring.

Back