Tesla S3X power consumption versus high power electric bike (estimates)... WTF

bakaneko

Local time
12:59 PM
TLDR, WTF, we need better designed ebikes or more efficient motors. I was just curious as the EV craze is pretty hype at this moment with major automakers adopting into the game. The way the EV YT channels talk and companies talk about performance and how I like to talk about it is a bit different as those channels are consumers and we are actually building the EV.

But, anyways, I found a graph of Tesla power consumption versus speed for its three flag ship cars the S, 3, and X. I then plotted my understanding of the most efficient ebike motors performance up to 100kmh (60mph) and then use the ebike calculator for the rest of the speeds (120,140,160). Note, that the Model 3 weighs on average (range variants) 3800lbs. My ebike weighs 100lbs and that is heavy.

So... At low speeds, we dont even register on the graph (see orange dots) when compared to Tesla. But, as our speed increases, our power consumption rise is not proportional to weight. I know when we ride we are like a giant flag in the wind, but even with that I mean look at this damn graph. At 100 kmh, a 3800lb Tesla is half as efficient as a 100lb~ ebike, LOL. And, its gets worse from there.

What can I say? I mean this just isnt Tesla. The EV (car) is making huge technological and design gains while electric bikes both high and modest power are in the dirt. HUH, am I doing this wrong? Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Tesla.png
    Tesla.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 315
Yeah Tesla is a joke aimed at high end consumers, they will never make enough of them for reasonable people to have them and they are like bad ass street machines with auto pilot. If Tesla was interested in saving the environment or even offering the masses affordable electric vehicles he'd start making 10 thousand dollar 8 seconds to sixty mph machines that have a 400 mile range that the average soccer mom could take to target and pick up groceries.

Tesla gonna make a motorcycle soon and maybe even an ebike eventually. I mean they came out with the car, SUV, big rig, and now truck. Next has to be a motorcycle, which I am excited about. I mean I don't think Zero, Energica, Harley, or Lightening are doing it right. Yeah, this s**t isnt cheap.

Lol SUV you mean Tesla x? I've seen a few in person and honestly they are just like a 4 wheel drive Prius. I ripped 50mph across a semi frozen muddy harvested field half corn half beans and hit a little creek at 60 and barely made it through going about 10mph on the other side slinging mud all over hell in my real "suv" 2 days ago. I've never heard of a Tesla leaving the road on purpose. I swear auto makers brainwashed everyone that SUV is how you spell van and not sport utility vehicle like it used to mean.

yeh you are right. probably not an suv. damn, that is probably next. i was hoping motorcycle would be next in line. the truck they came out with probably is designed to go off road.

He also released a quad at the same time as the truck. That wasn't a gas powered quad they drove into the truck bed. So if that exists now, they have everything needed to make a motorcycle.
On to affordability. Wait for solid state battery technology to catch on, no more expensive lithium. It uses sand (glass) and salt as the electrolyte, charges faster and holds a greater charge. You will soon see EV prices plummet.

Yeah, you are right CrazyDan. But, I mean long range motorcycle. Here is my problem with the current emotos... Range is s**t compared to EVs. Design is s**t and models traditional motorcycles so its not optimize for a large battery. There needs to be atleast a 30kwH but better yet at 40kwH battery on motorcycles.

I guess this rant is just I've had my head in the sand for EV efficiency when compared to ebikes. My green or future mobility model was forget the EVs just get high power ebikes (125cc equivalents) for commuting and your ICE car for long rides or groceries. I always thought an ebike would be drastically more efficient than any EV at all speeds. Based on that graph, that is not correct. Sure if you go like 12 mph you be golden but no one here wants to do that and thats not reasonable for commuting.

I wanted to make a futuristic e motorcycle (125cc equivalent) with big room for batteries but I mean Im too poor and two dont think I can compete with Tesla/EV efficiency.

12mph still kicks the s**t out of walking lol. I cruise my low power sla battery e bike at 17mph and go about 15 miles. A little farther if I pedal assist, a lot shorter if I go faster lol.

Back