Testing cdi and magneto

daveet66

Local time
10:15 PM
I bought a multi tester to check the cdi and the magneto it is not reading what it says on here my magneto says 0.33 can anyone explain what's going on here cause I have mo clue thanks

magneto says 0.33
You have it on the wrong scale or that is how it displays 330 ohms.
(multiply the values by the scale your using which is 1000 and you get 330 ohms)

either way it's right and your test succeed in telling you that the magneto is working as expected.

EDIT: Might as well add the expected values.

Ohm the magneto from the black and blue wire, 320-380 ohms is ideal, an open or dead short means a bad magneto if the wires are connected.

Ohm the CDI in the 10K-20K scale.
Red+ meter probe to CDI black wire.
Black- meter probe to the spark plug cap.
You should get about 6.9K ohms.

EDIT2:
This is a handy link, It's old but still relevant, Note that the multi meter on this page is reading 0.336 for the TZ magneto and .310 for the fat boy

You have it on the wrong scale or that is how it displays 330 ohms.
(multiply the values by the scale your using which is 1000 and you get 330 ohms)

either way it's right and your test succeed in telling you that the magneto is working as expected.

EDIT: Might as well add the expected values.

Ohm the magneto from the black and blue wire, 320-380 ohms is ideal, an open or dead short means a bad magneto if the wires are connected.

Ohm the CDI in the 10K-20K scale.
Red+ meter probe to CDI black wire.
Black- meter probe to the spark plug cap.
You should get about 6.9K ohms.

EDIT2:
This is a handy link, It's old but still relevant, Note that the multi meter on this page is reading 0.336 for the TZ magneto and .310 for the fat boy

Thank you appriciate you I think I have a bad tester tool I bought a cheap one off amazon

Thank you appriciate you I think I have a bad tester tool I bought a cheap one off amazon
Even a cheap meter will tell you that your in the right ball park, Good meters are about .01 off --- really good meters .001 off

a cheap meter might be off .1 to 1.0 and even if its off by one ohm or two makes no difference for what your doing

I had one that read 390 ohms on a meter that is accurate and it worked fine on my bike.

Back