Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

BAD NEWS! I just got back from renewing my drivers liscense. Laws changed last year. From the "Texas Drivers Handbook":
"Moped- A motor-driven cycle that cannot attain a speed in one mile of more than 30 miles per hour and the engine of which:
a. cannot produce more than two-brake horsepower; and
b. if an internal combustion engine, has a piston displacement of 50 cubic centemeters OR LESS and connects to a power drive system that does not require the operator to shift gears. Two wheeled vehicle that can be driven with either a motor or pedal."
We are now required to take a motor cycle saftey course before we recieve the K endorsement allowing us to operate mopeds. I am just going to get the full motor cycle license to stay legal. I will check on registration and saftey inspection tomorrow. I am new to this and I want to do everything I can to be legal.
I do wonder....with all that is going on why Austin decided to change these rules.

what part of texas are you in ??

I haven't had a problems in fort worth .
cops just wave ...
never been stoped.. I do have a motorcycle license..
but that souuld not be required since my bike has no VIN
no title, no registration , no inspection, A moped has to have all those things.
I guess it just depends on what the local police think.
i think i have the only M/B around.
I do always wear a good helmet and observe traffic rules.
keep us posted ... Good Luck....

I am in Ellis county, and could probably drive all day without seeing one officer of the law but that does not matter. I am simply relaying what the law says. "Two wheeled vehicle that can be driven with either a motor or pedal."
I was informed that if it is powered you needed a license. VIN numbers do not matter for any type of drivers license. A home built dune buggy or rat rod is an example. Vehicle registration is another matter. And as I said I am going to stop in and see what they have for info tomorrow. As I posted earlier, it will be from something that all can get access to and have copies for themselves. (ie: Texas Drivers Handbook)
Before we rely on not being stopped as a method of finding out whats legal we ought to investigate it a little. Yes some towns have lax police officers that let you drive without so much as a second look. There is always one Barney Fife to Fife up your day if you are not in compliance.
Just remember, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" and I wouldnt wanna risk my ride for lack of knowledge or because I relied on hearsay or gossip.

I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure a bicycle with a motor kit is legal in TX as a "motorized bicycle" if its 50cc or less, has one motor gear/speed, working pedal drive system, headlight and taillight. You are right, there is a lot of conflicting information, but I think its different than a moped.

I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure a bicycle with a motor kit is legal in TX as a "motorized bicycle" if its 50cc or less, has one motor gear/speed, working pedal drive system, headlight and taillight. You are right, there is a lot of conflicting information, but I think its different than a moped.

Sorry happy...but the law was stated in the first post and again in my post. Same wording from 2 sources. ""Moped- A motor-driven cycle that cannot attain a speed in one mile of more than 30 miles per hour and the engine of which:
a. cannot produce more than two-brake horsepower; and
b. if an internal combustion engine, has a piston displacement of 50 cubic centemeters OR LESS and connects to a power drive system that does not require the operator to shift gears. Two wheeled vehicle that can be driven with either a motor or pedal."
I have also found that in the handbook it states that a license is required.
I have also confirmed today that it is nearly impossible to get one registerd for street use, so we must depend on the good will of officers or their ignorance of the law if we choose to operate without following the law. Sources stated in the first post was where I was directed to.
Another update from today. It was suggested that I fill the form out as if I were a company that builds the bike requesting permission to add to register list. Instead of company name putting homebuilt or Personal built vehicle. Sending in the form with saftey inspection report, personal insurance info, and DL number and just seeing if it goes through as a onetime build.
I will let all know how it works. I know it may be calling attention to myself and cause it to be hard to ride, but thats OK. I am running for city council anyway and not being legal could cause problems also. So it really is not a sacrifice for me, I am already on the line.
PS. Sorry about grammer mistakes,,,not well today.

Last edited:
if it's not too late--maybe I can help you out here in Calif
what if you send me your paper work -- needed
so as to register it here in Calif as a motorized bicycle
then maybe you could take your legal papers from Calif into your DMV for a transfer ??

if it makes it legal to -- ride that thing

I just saw this....do not know how I missed it the first time. Mountainman, what paper work would you need. I may be game for a trial run of your idea.

Flattracker -

What in the world are you doing on an interstate highway with something you want to call a bicycle? Unless bicycles are specifically allowed (by presence of signs), that trooper was right. Bicycles are prohibited on interstate highways (with specific lengths of highway as exceptions).

Does that section of interstate you were on specifically allow bicycles? If not, bicycles are prohibited! Thank that trooper for not calling a tow truck to take your motorized bicycle away and not giving you a ticket. He was quite tolerant in this case.

Stay legal in every way!

MikeJ

He should have gotten onto US 77. I know the section of I35E well. The DPS/DMV office has since moved. But just south of there is a little rest stop. Anyone coming through town will do well to stayaway from that rest stop. There have been more drug busts there than anywhere else in Texas. It is a stopping point from Mexico that is usefull to change or break up what they are running to go the many different directions in Dallas. So it is heavy with police and heavier with people you probably do not want to be involved with.

Stand 4d, you can pay all the money you want to make your bicycle a moped, but I'm going to continue to ride my 1.95HP 48cc motorised bicycle without tags, license plates or endorsements.

Good day.

Edit: I am not being curt. I really mean, good day to you, sir.

Last edited:
Legal is one thing ...

And stupid is another....
Riding any bike on I-35 is fricken nut's !!!!
**** driveing a car on I-35 is bad enough !!!!
that's the death highway in Texas...
Lot's of death on that one !!!!
The cop was taking his life in his hands just getting out of the car...
If I was him I would be ****ed....
Remember M/b does not really replace a car .. Thats a misnomer ....
best to use the car on the freeways !!!! in Texas...

Stand 4d, you can pay all the money you want to make your bicycle a moped, but I'm going to continue to ride my 1.95HP 48cc motorised bicycle without tags, license plates or endorsements.

Good day.

Hope I did not offend you. I did not nor do I want to make my motorized bicycle a moped. The law did that for us. Ride away, some need to push the envelope one way, while others push in another direction. It might benifit us all if we write and phone our reps on the state level and get them to change it so our hobby does not fall under these rules.

Back