Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

----Personal notes----

I will edit this post to keep track of my efforts. If anyone has any suggestions, questions, or other items that should be listed here, let me know. I want to make sure that I am as prepared as possible when it comes time to talk to a lawyer and judge.

My Bike: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=159270#post159270

People I have spoke to:
1. Officer Williams - TAMU PD - Badge #54

2. Sergeant Kary Shaffer - TAMU PD - Over the phone, Sgt. Shaffer told me that Spencer Giles has repeatedly classified gas-engine-assisted bicycles as mopeds

3. Spencer Giles - Brazos County Attorney's Office - Left VM, waiting for a personal call back

4. "JJ" - TxDOT Representative - JJ requested that I send photos of the motorized bicycle, then forwarded me to the Waco DPS office. No decisions or classifications made.

5. Mr. Faulkner (sp?) - Waco DPS Office - Over the phone, Mr. Faulkner reviewed the TTC with me and determined that a gas-engine-assisted bicycle is a moped

People to contact and/or items to investigate:

1. Tela Mange - Chief of Media Relations at TX DPS - research quote found in the Valley Morning Star, May 26, 2008. Ask about conflicting decisions by DPS officials.

2. Can a legal electric bicycle use a gas-powered generator to supply electricity to the driving electric motor?

3. Determine whether Federal law can or should be applied in the absence of Texas law defining a gas-engine-assisted bicycle

4. Determine whether a bicycle seat and/or pedals can be classified as a "deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device." Currently, there is no language defining or describing the size, shape, and location of a motor-assisted scooter deck.

5. Determine the exact authority of TxDOT and Texas DPS employees regarding interpretation and application of vehicle regulations

6. Determine maximum speed limit for a "motor-assisted scooter." A speed limit of 35mph can be inferred from the clause limiting travel to roads with a posted speed limit of 35mph or less. This applies to roads without a designated bicycle lane. I could not find any speed limits for bicycle lanes, bicycles riding on public roads, or any speed limits other than the restrictions placed on non-human powered electric bicycles.

7. Determine whether the UPD-engraved ID number can qualify as a Texas moped VIN

8. Determine the exact displacement of my 2-cycle engine. Seller claims 38cc...

Contacts
College Station PD - (979) 764-3600
Bryan PD - Code Enforcement Dept - (979) 209-5020
Texas A&M UPD - (979) 845-2345
Navasota Police-Patrol - (936) 825-6410
Waco PD - (254) 750-7500
Dallas PD - (214) 670-4515
Houston PD - (713) 884-3131
Galveston PD - (409) 766-2100
South Padre Island PD - (956) 761-5454
UT Austin PD - (512) 471-4441
Austin PD - (512) 974-5900
El Paso PD - (915) 564-7000
San Antonio PD - (210) 227-7201
Lubbock PD - 806-775-2865

Texas DPS Office - Austin - (512) 424-2000
TxDOT - General Motor Vehicle Contact - (512) 416-4800
Brazos County Attorney's Office - Specer Giles - (979) 361-4300

Last edited:
I have spoke with Molly Cost and the Texas Motor Vehicles division about this, let me make this clear:

"The cited statue does impact pedal assited bicycles"

I have an email stating the same.

I will look for it and post it for you.

Fight the ticket!

I might bring my bike to college station and ask them to write me a ticket also.

I will help you fight these clowns!

Do not contact this person! I am taking my bike down for her and Brad Brey to see in person.

Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:25 AM
To: davidd@ccinsurance.com
Subject: Bikes with motors

Mr. Dennis,

I received your e-mail and fax requesting information about the rules and
regulations regarding bikes with motors on them. The rule you included in
your correspondence, Sec. 103.17, was a rule that was used to determine what
types of motorized scooters were considered motor vehicles for the purpose
of licensing and regulation of the manufacturer and dealer of a particular
scooter. That rule has since been repealed.

The products you describe would still require pedaling to get started, so
they would not fall under the definition of motor vehicle in the laws
administered by the Motor Vehicle Division. Your questions about
registration and MSOs are best answered by the Vehicle Titles and
Registration Division. Their contact information can be found at
www.txdot.gov/contact_us/vehicle_titles_and_registration.htm.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Molly Cost

Sincerely,

Motor Vehicle Division
Texas Department of Transportation

Let's Discuss the Future of Transportation at the 3rd Annual Texas
Transportation Forum, April 20-22, 2008.
For more information, visit www.TexasTransportationForum.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly suggest that everyone give the clowns in colleyville a call or two tomorrow morning

Pull start on the staton.

This is actually a fairly good point. All the people that I talked to who approve the MB said the fact that it has to be pedal-started is what makes it a bicycle and not a motor vehicle. Pull-start and button-start engines would make the MB a "motorcycle" and illegal to operate without registration, inspection, and insurance.

Last edited:
Back