texas state law

haha im working on some pro made stamp plats so we can get buy just call it a 38cc thats what i do all the time but all get them out for the people in texas soon later

551.301 is for motor assisted scooters. That is the law the city cop was using to tell me I was not legal. It states that you have to have a floor board for standing and a seat for sitting. I've thought about adding some floorboards to mine. Thanks............................

Sec. 551.301. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Neighborhood electric vehicle" means a vehicle
subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 500 (49 C.F.R.
Section 571.500).
(2) "Motor assisted scooter":
(A) means a self-propelled device with:
(i) at least two wheels in contact with the
ground during operation;
(ii) a braking system capable of stopping
the device under typical operating conditions;
(iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding
40 cubic centimeters;
(iv) a deck designed to allow a person to
stand or sit while operating the device; and
(v) the ability to be propelled by human
power alone; and
(B) does not include a pocket bike or
minimotorbike.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could claim that the pedals are actually two small, movable decks, serving a dual purpose - they allow you to stand while operating the device, AND they allow you to move the device by human power alone

Last edited:
551.301 is for motor assisted scooters. That is the law the city cop was using to tell me I was not legal. It states that you have to have a floor board for standing and a seat for sitting. I've thought about adding some floorboards to mine. Thanks............................

551.301 says floor board or seat,not floor board AND seat.
So if you bike has a seat it doesn't have to have the floor boards.That's the way I read it.---sam

[QUOTE
Reply With Quote551.301 says floor board or seat,not floor board AND seat.
So if you bike has a seat it doesn't have to have the floor boards.That's the way I read it.---sam[/QUOTE]

Actually it says "a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit." A deck designed would make the sit or stand a moot point. But I have thought about making some custom pedals out of diamond plate alumimum. Then make a bracket that I can fold down and hold the pedals stationary. Then just tell him it has a deck designed for sitting or standing.

My only problem with doing this (and I know this is minor) but the motor assisted scooters are not supposed to be operated on a street with a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph. I like to ride mine out to the airport and have a couple miles road where the speed limit is 70. I could just shut the engine off and pedal if I see a cop.

It really does make no sense that you can pedal on roads 35mph and higher and not motor.But then again you got to understand who's toes your stepping on.It wasn't people like us that got the law changed in the first place---it was business men that wanted to sell the kits(not rider them)and politicians had to balance that against those that build roads.Just imagine what a vehicle that gets say 150 MPG would do to the gas tax(added to every gallon of gas) that goes into building roads---well we can't have that!
Now if we could just get some politician to think he's helping poor A.A.R.P.ers get around then we have a change to correct the 35 mph road limit---untill then ---put a milk carton over the motor,what they don't know want hurt them!(smile)

Back