texas state law

scooters

The McKinney banned motorized scooters years ago and Allen and Frinco did so right after that. Sighting the same transpertation code 551 saying that they can. The way I read it they can't ban them on every street but on selected areas. Recently I've noticed more people going to work on bikes and more retired people using gas and electric scooters. Not the four wheel type scooter you see in the stores or ones that could be licenced as mopeds but very small two wheel scooters. The ordinence just says no motorized scooters. I did get the chief of police in Frisco to agree with me but he would only go so far as to say you had to be over 18 to ride on the road. The city of McKinney police chief posted on the web a bunch of false statement about scooters one being that no helmet at 20 to 30 mph would do any good anyway. He also states that kids can't operate one safely, so why not put a age restriction like 12 or 15. To me it seems that if it is called a electric personal mobility device you have no restriction other then a 750 watt motor. I've found one that can do better then 20 mph and has a basket. I'm not sure how the police feel about electric bikes and have asked the question because walmart does sell them here. I've yet to get an answer back. I guess my point is gas is very high and electric scooters of all kinds have come a long way in the last few years and will continue to, so why not be able to take advantage of them.

Back