That was dumb...

GW's Motorized

Local time
7:19 AM
I'll admit I was being stupid and in a hurry this morning and wrecked my bike. It wasn't too bad, but there are some parts in need of replacement.

First of all I have a small fuel leak they developed that I didn't notice, so I ran out of fuel half way to my destination. Thankfully there was a gas station a block away. This led to me wrecking my bike because I was in a hurry. I went around a corner to a semi-private road that the gate is usually opened on, but it was closed and I ran into the gate, thus breaking my head light, laying the bike on its side and bending my rear wheel.

Moral of the story is don't get in a hurry.

First of all I have a small fuel leak they developed that I didn't notice
You didn't smell the gasoline at all or see any gas drippage or puddles when it's parked???

Also you should never mix the oil and gas in the gas tank like you just had to at a gas station...It will never mix properly like when using a gallon gas can and measuring the proper amount of oil and then shaking it up before pouring it in your tank.

You didn't smell the gasoline at all or see any gas drippage or puddles when it's parked???

Also you should never mix the oil and gas in the gas tank like you just had to at a gas station...It will never mix properly like when using a gallon gas can and measuring the proper amount of oil and then shaking it up before pouring it in your tank.
I went in a got a container to mix it in, not in the gas tank. And no, I didn't notice the gas leak. I'm not sure if it was the small leak, or I just ran it enough.

I got home and assessed the damage. It's not as bad I I thought it might be. The side pedal arm is bent and touching the engine case. A new rear wheel and bending back the pedal arm it'll be back on the road. The rear wheel isn't even badly bent, it just took out my coaster brake arm. I will be switching my rear brake to a u brake like the front.

Also now that I think of it you can add this one to a coaster brake story. That's what caused my bike to lay over.

I'm thinking of just getting a new frame. I like the frame I have, but I've been looking at getting a Hyper cruiser from Walmart. I know Damian has good experiences with his, and it's more worthwhile to buy the new frame that replace everything I have to replace on my bike.

Back