ThatsDax motor chain gets jammed

• Thread starter Keepthedrivetommy
  • Start date
yeah !!!
it looks like it is way too loose dude :eek:
should be 1/2-3/4 inch deflection up n down of the chain
too loose and jumped sprocket
other than that, you look good to go :D

I took one link off and now it is too short!!! what do I do now. he masterlink doesnt reach the other end. And what is deflection?

OK so it is the right chain and now it is just a bit short.
This has happened to me before on motorcycles.
Add a half link. Use real care not to let the tiny clip fly away during install.
Some use a tiny cottor pin iirc.

1633_half_link_1.jpg

Where do I get a half link, and wont that be a weak spot in the chain if the half link isnt the same size/material?

Sorry if I seem a little hott headed but how would you feel if you saved all the money you could get for 6 months and bought something that seems to have problem after problem, and the very guy who sold you the item is telling you to go get help somewhere else? :?

Yes,,, slow down and listen. That chain is waaaay to loose! You need to apply tension to the chain and roll the bike back and forth to get the tension to the top also. I think after the top is tensioned up some you will see that you can probably take about 7 links out of that chain! SLOW DOWN, TAKE A DEEP BREATH,,,, and all will be good. Report back after you tension the chain up.

Papa

take your tensioner off first
see if that gives enough to link back up
you only need it if you are too loose
the first pic shows tensioner all the way up and a lot of extra chain
taking one whole link (from outer plate to outer plate) could not have been too much

ps...there are under 16's here so be cool with the language 8)

Ok, sorry I'm calm. Heres what I did. I took the tensioner, which i assume you mean the ball bearing pulley with the clear wheel, I took it of completely, and then reattached the chain, rolled the bike back to get the chain as tight as possible, but the masterlink is still about one quarter of your pinky nail away from the other hole. I'll try again, but I dont see anything else that I can move or stretch. Hold on and I'll take another picture to show. Again, I'm sorry for the language

As loose as the chain was in the second picture, you should be able to remove 3-4 links, drop the tensioner down all the way and it should still be kinda loose.

Remove only enough links to get the chain close, but not too tight. Use the tensioner to bring it up to around 3/4-1", that way if your sprocket isn't perfectly centered, the chain will run O.K.

Deep breath, count to three, exhale s-l-o-w-l-y through the nose.

Back