ThatsDax motor chain gets jammed

• Thread starter Keepthedrivetommy
  • Start date
K

Keepthedrivetommy

Hi,
I am finally at the chain installation part of installing my THATSDAX Howell motor, but once I put the chain on the motor sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket and move the bike forward, the motor sprocket begins to spin and the chain starts to move, and after a couple of spins in the motor sprocket, the chain gets jammed in the motor sprocket box. It looks as though the chain does not want to sit properly on the chain as its spinning. Does anyone have any solutions, maybe some more lubricant on the motor sprocket, or perhaps I should file the teeth of the motor sprocket a little so the chain slips on more fluidly?
here is a picture.

Tommy

No extra lube will help.
DO NOT file or grind the sprocket except to remove a burr.

I think the chain pitch is wrong for that sproket!

Do nothing until more hands on experience arrives. You are prolly in a hurry for the first ride. Relax now and the pay-off will be to your benifit. :)

?

What is the chain pitch? The motor and all came together, so they should work together. Do you think that if I went out to buy a single speed bike chain, because I think this is a motorcycle chain, that it would be better?

I have never build a Chinese kit.
Dax should be on later today and will not miss his name in the title of this post.

As I recall, that chain should be a 41 or 410. Generally the number is stamped on the link plates face. Is it on the other side of the chain? If so, what is the number?

Mistakes do happen and you may have caught one. :cool:

it sounds like you have one of the narrower drive sprockets
if so, you can run a heavy duty bmx chain (made for stunting so it's high torque)
Z510H BMX Chain by KMC $6.95 @ bikenashbar.com (including master link)
I needed 2 because my bike is so long
I run it on my deviate and it hasn't stretched at all since day one (I have approx 600 miles on it) and it is a very heavy bike

anoter picture

Here is another picture of the bike just sitting. I didnt want to make the chain too tight. And yes, I do believe that the chain is a 415. That is wat DAX has on his web site, though he also has a 081, which I thought I was getting because he told me that all upgraded parts were now included in the kit, but the picture of the 415 looks just like the one I have. And what is binding?
1968_IMG_7399_1.jpg

you've got to drop some links out of that chain dude try 2 to strat with

I took out one link (The Inner part, but then you have to take out an outer part also because the master link only works with the inner part of the link, so I guess you would call that 2 links) and now the chain is too short. I'm lost, and just want this to work. I dont understand how there can be so many problems. Someone HELP

Back