Thatsdax Titan XC 50cc

S

Scottm

Well here I am to brag about my Titan engine. I never saw myself posting in the rack mount fourm and sadly rarely visited here since I was hooked on my Happy Times Frame Mounts.
For starters I can ride with confidence with the Titan behind me. The chain drive, the rack system and the quality motor are so simplistic yet sturdy and so far reliable. The most time consuming part of the install was attaching the rear sprocket and it's 9 bolts. The rack just clamps on the chainstays and the motor just bolts to the rack. No drilling or modifications to the bike.

Earlier I gained some slack in the chain and all I had to do was raise the plate 1/5th of an inch and it snugged it right up. Loosen 2 nuts and tighten 2 others. I will post pictures.

I have tried moving the motor back just within it's slots on the mounting plate, but Duane has advised me that I should drill some mounting holes closer to the front of the plate so I can move the entire kit back a few inches. I believe he intends to make extra holes for future kits (the one's he working on now). The install pictures/instructions on Thatsdax.com are most helpful. When I did slide the engine back on the plate, it was okay for the primary chain going from the PTO to the jackshaft to be at an angle. At one point I had it too tight and could hear squeaking in the PTO bearings area. A fraction of an inch forward allowed for a tiny bit of slack and the squeak was gone.:)
All the adjustments on this kit are so simple. I think if I had the kit on a bigger bike with longer rear chain stays I would have no clearance issues like Large's Cronus http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=114986&postcount=1. He's got a lot of room. BUT this motor and drive train are so smooth, I can
lean back against the air cleaner while riding and not get any vibration.

It is nice just being able to gas-n-go rather than mess with the premix. I don't keep records to show mileage yet and I always top off the tank when I'd done riding.

This bike wants to go. It's strange not having to pedal. It's hard to control myself during break in since this thing can quickly get me to 30MPH and it's fun to show off.
Anyhow, I'll stop for now. Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them or get Duane to. It's cool to be on the forefront of something new like this. This is a hobby for me. I'm a single father of two young girls so I have to use my car. I believe if I had to, I could use this steup dependably.

The computer in my car say my avg MPH is 19.8 even though the speed limits are 45 MPH in my area. I live 7 miles from work but have 17 stop lights which i usually have to sit through several cycles due to traffic. The Computer on my bike says my average speed is 23 MPH:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some close ups of various features. You can see the jackshaftraised up fom the t-post to tighten the chain.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 776
Scott:
Have u thought about enclosing that chain for the jackshaft or doesn't it bother you?

I just changed the oil on mine today. It has by now about 250 miles.
I tell ya. I'm so glad I can start posting here. Rack mount compared to frame mount is like comparing apples to oranges.
To chime in,if I can describe on one word what this kit is all about I would say that word is smooth.
I'll let you all know if I run into some problems. So far,one loose chain incident,fixed in under a minute,hasn't loosened up since.
Tomorrow is another 52 miler. No sweat.

Scott:
Have u thought about enclosing that chain for the jackshaft or doesn't it bother you?

I actually like it exposed. People be really checking it out. I know I've been crazy getting all excited about this kit but this carrier is really a work of art.

Scott:

I have thought about it. If it did snap and fly off I suppose it could hit my right arm. If I had long hair or a back pack with excess straps, I would be concerned. It would be easy to use some sheet metal and some metal strapping. The problem is, stuff I make looks like I made it:p.
Honestly I think I'd rather have it fly off if it ever happened. Keeping it confined might cause it to bind the two sprockets thus damaging the steup and send me skidding.
I've been working in a metal shop for 13 years and my 12 ton punch press wheel has no safety shield. I've only managed to rub my shoulder against it a few times, so I have a great deal of respect for machienes that have no remorse or respect for life and limb.

It's raining hard today.
All day.
I have my raincoat.
And Cronus.
Today will rule.
Sticking it to the man.

My Titan...

Well..I am getting close to 2,000 miles now on my Titan. I have replaced my clutch pack once at around 700 miles. And.I am not sure I would have had to do that, except I was out mountain climbing running a 36T. Abuse..I know..But clutch packs are inexpensive and not hard to swap in. I will not do any more mountain climbing with a 36T. A 50T would be fine. But..It is the first Titan and I needed to know how long such abuse could last on a clutch. Now I know. Just stick with the 44T that comes with the kit and a longer life is the rule. Other than that..Nothing.. Not even an oil change. It may need one soon. I am still running the same Drive Chains. Unlike other kits that run belts. Ok for a Harley which uses a huge Cog Belt. But for the bikes, they are too tiny and only last 400-500 miles and are expensive and hard to replace. Gosh..I run 50 miles in a day..Easy..So..10 days is all I would get from a belt? Better Carry extra belts..Yikes !!! Stick to chain. Chains are smooth, inexpensive, smaller, and last a lot longer , and easier to size for different bikes and sprockets. On one of my Harleys, a pebble got up on to my belt and then was clocked into the belt. No kidding. On another Harley of mine, the belt would chirp on decells. Nothing crayons would not fix. Every few days I would sprinkle some crushed crayons onto the belt. That wax is good dry lube. Harley used to sell some spray wax to make the belts quiet. The Harley I ride all the time now is a Chain Bath version. The all have pros and cons. But for our bikes, Chains rule... And when it comes to Bicycle Engine Kits, Titan Rules !!! There is nothing better at any price.. Enjoy the ride....

Heck. I'm running a BICYCLE chain with no problems.
It's also nice to know if and when my chain breaks I can repair it with a few links in my tool pouch and a chain breaker from Wal Mart.

Well..I am getting close to 2,000 miles now on my Titan. I have replaced my clutch pack once at around 700 miles. And.I am not sure I would have had to do that, except I was out mountain climbing running a 36T. Abuse..I know..But clutch packs are inexpensive and not hard to swap in. I will not do any more mountain climbing with a 36T. A 50T would be fine. But..It is the first Titan and I needed to know how long such abuse could last on a clutch. Now I know. Just stick with the 44T that comes with the kit and a longer life is the rule. Other than that..Nothing.. Not even an oil change. It may need one soon. I am still running the same Drive Chains. Unlike other kits that run belts. Ok for a Harley which uses a huge Cog Belt. But for the bikes, they are too tiny and only last 400-500 miles and are expensive and hard to replace. Gosh..I run 50 miles in a day..Easy..So..10 days is all I would get from a belt? Better Carry extra belts..Yikes !!! Stick to chain. Chains are smooth, inexpensive, smaller, and last a lot longer , and easier to size for different bikes and sprockets. On one of my Harleys, a pebble got up on to my belt and then was clocked into the belt. No kidding. On another Harley of mine, the belt would chirp on decells. Nothing crayons would not fix. Every few days I would sprinkle some crushed crayons onto the belt. That wax is good dry lube. Harley used to sell some spray wax to make the belts quiet. The Harley I ride all the time now is a Chain Bath version. The all have pros and cons. But for our bikes, Chains rule... And when it comes to Bicycle Engine Kits, Titan Rules !!! There is nothing better at any price.. Enjoy the ride....

Sorry to jump in here guys, but Dax what you are implying here comes very close to vendor bashing. We don't want to get to that point. I respect you and your business and I would expect you to respect the other business that deals with belts. Please ease up a bit. Thank You.

Back