The 12 volt lighting coil and how to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I made it back, Thanks For The Tip Frankenstein, It's alive!!! with the CDI in circuit power is up, LED light fully illuminated and showing 23/24 volts, with 10 watt 6v bulb load showing 4.3v light comes on at 1100rpm as the drill press winds up, I'm thinking watts 5/6 electrons freely flowing everywhere!!!

Attachments

• coil 008.jpg
    coil 008.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Well I made it back, Thanks For The Tip Frankenstein, It's alive!!! with the CDI in circuit power is up, LED light fully illuminated and showing 23/24 volts, with 10 watt 6v bulb load showing 4.3v light comes on at 1100rpm as the drill press winds up, I'm thinking watts 5/6 electrons freely flowing everywhere!!!
Gotta love the wonkyness of electricity lol, no problem.

Oh and to which it stands I've been corrected, I am happy to see the product wasn't actually a total pancake.
You and a few others who laid out the cash, just checked the noload voltage with rectifier in circuit at 4263rpm ac12.5/13.2 dc7.3, yup better diodes are in order. Tomorrow with better diodes I'll try a 12v car type usb power regulator and my usb powered light. And again thanks for the help.

You and a few others who laid out the cash, just checked the noload voltage with rectifier in circuit at 4263rpm ac12.5/13.2 dc7.3, yup better diodes are in order. Tomorrow with better diodes I'll try a 12v car type usb power regulator and my usb powered light. And again thanks for the help.
You can keep using the same kind just as well, if you put multiples in parallel it drops the total resistance, when I get faced with funny things like that that's what I do, also works in a pinch with different valued resistors to help get a value that you might not have on hand, let's you get a resistance somewhere between the 2, usually the average of the 2.

Well I came up with a better bridge rectifier with a filter cap and now get full 23/24volts DC out and lights up the 10watt bulb to more than half brightness, need to do a little scrounging in the boxes to find some various watt loads. P.S. it fried the previous test led light.
Some numbers to crunch, with the 10 watt 6v incandescent bulb as a load, full bridge rectifier in line, RPM4263 the readings are 5v average and 1.85amps average, I say average because readings where fluctuating, about 9.25 watts

Last edited:
Running my motorcycle headlight which has a LED bulb sold as a replacement for the halogen bulb it will run on 6to36volts DC so it's forgiving. coil 003.jpg coil 005.jpg
Tomorrow I'll try to get it to power a car type USB adapter, most of my bike lights are usb driven from a lithium power pack, good to have the backup if your engine dies and you peddle home at night.

Last edited:
Well today I tried the coil to rectifier to car type USB converter from Harbor F. input voltage spec is 9-24vdc and it powered my bike LED light on low power but when switched to mid or high the supply voltage to the USB charger dropped below the 9v threshold and the light would start strobeing, I have some better quality USB chargers ordered with a input requirement of 3.4-28vdc that should work but they are on a slow boat from China so it might be a few weeks. Watt output is still in the 9.5 range, the light I use draws 6.72 watts so once the voltage problem is solved this will power a very bright headlight and a small tail light.

Last edited:
So how much power does the converter use? You may have wattage to hold a lamp on bright but if the converter uses too much juice then the over amperage draw of what you have will in return drop the voltage.

What converter are you using specifically?

So how much power does the converter use? You may have wattage to hold a lamp on bright but if the converter uses too much juice then the over amperage draw of what you have will in return drop the voltage.

What converter are you using specifically?
Hard to be specific about a generic, it is a Harbor Freight special, a cigarette plug USB, it has a voltage input range of 9-24 volts, the coil voltage drops down to 3.2-3.4 volts with a 10watt bulb load, my bike light has three brightnesses and works on low with this system but only draws 2.3 watts on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back