The beast.

It did for the first few weeks of me owning it. Now it seems to have calmed down.

I bought it preowned, and thought it was normal.

Not to be rude, but I think your speedometer is off. 80cc would be revving over 10,000 RPM @ 45MPH with a 44T, and that isn't happening with a stock 70/80cc. At 30MPH, the engine would be ~6800RPM, which is already over the approximate redline.

I blew up a Dax motor @ 32MPH using a 44T, which equates to ~7250RPM.

Your right, I do get carried away, and tend to exagerate a bit. Maybe 45MPH isn't exact, but I know I was going about 40 or so for sure. and the engine did sound pretty whiny at that point, like it was going to blow up. But it regularly kept that speed for miles at a time.

I assumed I was doing at least 40 becuase I was riding down the same busy streets that I drive down in a car. And the avaerage speed is 45 there. On the motorbike I was keeping up with the cars and sometimes passing.

This is why I said that. Not trying to spread false info or anything. This was my first bike motor and all that I experienced on it so far, I thought was normal.

SchwinnAlloySeven_GT5 said:
Not to be rude, but I think your speedometer is off. 80cc would be revving over 10,000 RPM @ 45MPH with a 44T, and that isn't happening with a stock 70/80cc. At 30MPH, the engine would be ~6800RPM, which is already over the approximate redline.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I ran my dax 70cc @ 30 mph no problem and had more to go.

I used my GPS several times to confirm the speed.

are you saying that it is possible to go 40+ with a 44 tooth sprocket? Would increasing my compression give me more rpms. If so, how do I increase the compression of my engine?

Bikeguy Joe said:
SchwinnAlloySeven_GT5 said:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I ran my dax 70cc @ 30 mph no problem and had more to go.

I used my GPS several times to confirm the speed.

I'm not going to believe anyone who says their 70/80cc can do 40+ with a 44T sprocket when that is over 9K RPM. I sincerely believe claims like that are examples of bovine fecal matter. Go ahead and turn your engines over 7K RPM, but these are unbalanced engines based on a 70 y/o Russian design using metal that isn't exactly high quality. You want 30+MPH, get a smaller sprocket. Your engine would thank you if it could.

Back